Essays

Need Help With Essays? Ask an Essay Tutor Online.

The failure of the merger between two leading competitors in…

Customer Question
The failure of the merger...
The failure of the merger between two leading competitors in the global computer industry, Hewlett-Packard Company (HP) and Compaq Computer Corporation (Compaq) failed as the synergies identified prior to the merger did not materialize. You have been asked to look at this failed merger and analyse the factors involved.
Referring to the 6 levels of cultures normally found in a business context and considering the main theoretical influences and models in the field of cross cultural management, write a report where you discuss the challenges faced by Hewlett Packard after the acquisition of Compaq.
As part of the report you are also asked to provide recommendations on how the management of other organisations can have more effective future mergers and avoid the problems encountered by HP and Compaq
The report will include the following:
1- Background of the businesses involved, highlighting some of the key cultural influences and challenges that management may be facing. (LO1, LO2 see below) (30 MARKS)
2- Critically evaluate prominent theories and models on the topic and linking this to the business in question with the view of making effective recommendations to the team. (LO2, LO4, LO5, LO6 see below) (35 MARKS)
3- With justification, identify the key management actions that could be taken in other mergers to address the issues highlighted in the 2 above points, which will ensure that future organisations are able to leverage the acquisition effectively in order to gain competitive advantages for the business. (LO1, LO2, LO3, LO4 see below) (35 MARKS)
Learning Outcomes On successful completion of this assignment you will be able to: ***** critically the concept of culture and approaches to the study of culture, explaining its usefulness and relevance to a range of issues of management and organisation.
LO2. Provide a critical account of the main theoretical approaches to cross-cultural management.
LO3. Use these theories to analyse problems and issues of organisation and management in a context of increasing cultural diversity, and to recommend how they may be addressed.
LO4. Evaluate the implications of culture and/or language for business communication.
LO5. Identify the effect of global communications on disparate cultures.
LO6. Appraise the problems of managing across cultures and propose considered solutions.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Essays
7/8/2015
Business Tutor: Jawaad Ahmed, Other replied 3 years ago
Jawaad Ahmed
Please tell the lenght of your assignment as well as mention the deadline too, thanks.