Essays

Need Help With Essays? Ask an Essay Tutor Online.

I need help on solving a similar business ethics case

Customer Question
The...

The Problem: The Case of the Educational Weekend

You are preparing to introduce a new product on the market during a time when everyone is nervous about the economic future of the country and health care expenses. Because of the economic skittishness, people are unlikely to try a new product. Thus, you need to figure out how to create demand with the public and woo the leaders in the sports medicine field to give your new product a try. You have a request for a $30,000 increase in your budget to the CEO to meet the need. Accounting is also being very conservative and doesn't want to raise your budget until they feel more secure about the projected sales.

One of the investors in your company has a ranch in Idaho. This investor has offered to let you use the ranch, all expenses paid, and bring some of the potential customers and purchasing agents to the ranch for a skiing vacation and the chance to learn about your new product. While the weekend will be billed as a "thank-you for our valued customers", you hope that you can generate enough good will to get more sales. This offer would be the equivalent of a $30,000 infusion into your marketing budget.

Please complete each section of this worksheet.

Be Attentive: Set the Context

1. Ethical Actor

The first step is to identify the ethical actor. In a sentence identify the ethical actor for this problem.

Answer:

The ethical actor in this situation ...

2. Stakeholders

The next step is to identify the stakeholders. List the other stakeholders for this problem.

Answer:

The primary stakeholders are ...

1. Assumptions

In two or three bullet points, identify any assumptions you are making about the problem.

Answer:

• .

• .

• .

Be Intelligent: Identify the Issue and the Values in Tension

1. Issue

In one sentence, identify the issue for this problem.

Answer

The main issue is whether to sell a product when the demand is low or to create demand for a product in economically unstable times.

1. Values in Tension

In three or four bullet points, identify the values in tension.

Answer

• .

• .

• .

Be Reasonable: Explore the Options

1. Basic Liberties

Choose three options to analyze. You will analyze multiple options to help ensure that you choose a reasonable option to implement.

After brainstorming with the leadership team, you have identified five options:

1. Accept the $30,000 valued weekend. Invite your potential clients to the “skiing” weekend and send informational material about the products you are going to pitch with the confirmation of the weekend.

2. Accept the $30,000 valued weekend. Invite your potential clients to the “skiing” weekend and pitch the product when they get there.

3. Reject the notion of an educational weekend and continue traditional sources of marketing.

4. Have the company pay for the weekend at your investor's ranch. Invite your potential clients to the “skiing” weekend and send informational material about the products you are going to pitch with the confirmation of the weekend.

5. Reject the notion of an educational weekend and hold a trade meeting at a hotel with traditional sources of marketing.

In this step, identify the basic liberties to which each constituent is entitled. Compare the options and discuss which option (assuming a clean process) best meets the basic liberties requirement. Discuss why the other options do not meet the requirement for the basic liberties as well.

Answer:

2. Just Savings

Now -- how well does each option meet the requirements of the just savings principle, assuring that resources are available for next generations. Which option best meets this requirement. Discuss why the other options do not meet the requirement of the just savings principle as well.

Answer:

3. Equal Opportunity for Success

Next, consider how well each option assures that social and economic inequalities are arranged so that all constituents have an equal opportunity for success. Which option best meets this requirement. Discuss why the other options do not meet the requirement of equal opportunity for success as well.

Answer:

4. Reflective Equilibrium

Now, using the tool of reflective equilibrium, which option gives the best advantage to the least advantage without unduly burdening those who are the most advantaged. Which option best meets this requirement. Discuss why the other options do not maintain reflective equilibrium as well.

Answer

5. Ecology of Care

Finally, consider whether each option contributes to an ecology of care. Which option best meets the requirement for building a strong community and strong institutions.

Answer:

Be Responsible

1. Choose an Option

Select one option to implement within your Division (highlight your answer):

• Accept the $30,000 valued weekend. Invite your potential clients to the “skiing” weekend and send informational material about the products you are going to pitch with the confirmation of the weekend.

• Accept the $30,000 valued weekend. Invite your potential clients to the “skiing” weekend and pitch the product when they get there.

• Reject the notion of an educational weekend and continue traditional sources of marketing.

• Have the company pay for the weekend at your investor's ranch. Invite your potential clients to the “skiing” weekend and send informational material about the products you are going to pitch with the confirmation of the weekend.

• Reject the notion of an educational weekend and hold a trade meeting at a hotel with traditional sources of marketing.

2. Explain Your Decision

Using the guidelines for how to write a memo, write a memo to be shared with the rest of the leadership team which explains your decision.

Answer:

Write a Memo:

Communicating with others is key. Often the only chance we get to influence a person is a sound-byte, a short and sweet comment at a meeting or in a memo. Thus, the ability to communicate your decision in a way that will get buy-in from the others is important.

While the full description of the process is in the Library, as you write your memo remember the following steps:

• Give the brief background of the problem;

• Give a statement of the decision;

• Give the reasons for the decision. Use the language of the lens you used to make the decision;

• Give a forward looking conclusion that helps people �buy-in� to the decision.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Essays
Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree