Hi, I'm sorry about the late reply.
I forgot to add additional information for my assignment.
Here is the info.
Assignment One: Ethical Dilemmas
Due date: Tuesday 20 August, no later than 1:00pm via Stream
Purpose: To demonstrate your understanding and application of the ethical dimension of business decision making.
1. Read the short case study below.
Mike is a new employee in the accounts payable department in a small software sales company. He recently graduated from college and this is his first professional job. Brenda is a long time, experienced sales manager with the company who travels extensively. She approached Mike for help in submitting several expense reports for business related travel. Mike has assisted Brenda in the past, including making travel arrangements for her. In preparing the expense reports, Mike noticed that a number of the receipts were for personal items which are not authorised for reimbursement; including a massage at a health club and a manicure. When he approached Brenda about this, she angrily told him to “just submit the report like you are told.” Mike is hesitant about doing this. He and his wife recently had a new baby and Mike is the sole source of income for his family.
2. Write a 1600 word essay, excluding references, that answers the following questions:
- How does the situation facing Mike constitute an ethical dilemma?
- Draw on your knowledge of two of the ethical theories discussed in Lecture 2 or 3 and explain their relevance to the situation.
Chapters one and two of Shaw et al
Case Study Reference: http://www.businessethicsalliance.org/blog/luncheon-discussion-2012-ethical-dilemmas/
Tips and hints
- Remember an essay has three components; an introduction, body and conclusion. It is an integrated piece of writing that should enable a reader (i.e. your marker) to follow your argument, explanation or exposition without the use of headings or sub-headings. To do this you need to use linking words or phrases between words, sentences and paragraphs to maintain coherence and cohesion throughout the essay.
- Please note the question has two parts; you must address both parts. In the first instance, you need to explain how the situation facing constitutes an ethical dilemma (a definition of ethical dilemma). To do this effectively you need to provide an evidence-based argument of why you believe this to be an ethical dilemma (i.e. this is where you would show your understanding of the concepts and theories).
- You will also need to discuss two ethical theories and explain their relevance to this situation.
- You may write in the first person. However, where you are discussing theory or concepts, you may find it more effective to revert to the third person/more formal structure.
- You must reference any research sources that you have used. Compile your reference list following the APA format of all the sources (textbooks, journals, newspaper articles, etc.) used in developing your response. Note that you must have a minimum of three scholarly references in addition to your textbook (i.e. a minimum of four in total). This list must contain at least one book and one journal article.
- Do make use the Library’s on-line catalogue and electronic databases available via the Library’s website.
- Remember to submit an electronic copy of your essay to Stream. Please remember there are No Hard Copies of assignments submitted in this course.