Entertainment

Have entertainment questions? Ask an Expert online

Although I know that the 1995 movie titled "Into The Mouth…

Although I know that the...
Although I know that the 1995 movie titled "Into The Mouth Of Madness" with Sam Neill wasn't filmed in New Hampshire at all, for some reason, the filming locations, setting, environment, and stuff of the movie made me think of the state of New Hampshire in more ways than one. Therefore, I was wondering; is there a city or town in New Hampshire that looks just like or very close to the filming locations of this movie? Thank you.
11/29/2017
Martin, Engineer

Hi.

No direct comparaison come to my mind but there sure is lot of small towns that look similar. New Hampshire is very close to Québec and Ontario and a lot of Loyalist after the american revolution flew there. With them came the blueprint of the culture and architecture so the tow can look a lot like what you see in the movie (mostly shot in Ontario).

Vegetation is also very similar in the south of Ontario, same for the light and humidity.

Has New Hampshire ever been known to be connected with/to "horror" or scary movies in the same way one connects Maine with Stephen King and Vermont with the movie titled "What Lies Beneath" with Michelle Pfiffer? Thank you.
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT

Hello again, Jaime!

This is Cher. I hope all is well!

No, New Hampshire has never been known to be connected with/to particular horror or scary movies, in the same way Stephen King is associated with Maine and other upper New England states, like Vermont (for "What Lies Beneath."). I can understand why you would think so, though! : )

I hope this helped!

Take care,

Cher

Indeed not a particular horror place. Stephen king sure tip the balance for Maine but there is still many reasons why so many horror movie are done on North east coast. A lot of immigrants came there first and did bring their legend with them. Also it was an active region in the victorian era (when Frankenstein came out). So Vampire, Wherewolf, Salem witch and other ancient monster are often set on there.

A lot of movie location have to do with tax incentive now, but the north east cost sure still make a good backdrop because of the type of forest and cold and rainy fall season.

Martin, Engineer
Martin, Engineer