Entertainment

Have Entertainment Questions? Ask an Expert

Entertainment

For Cher:On June 22, Prince William attended the wedding

For Cher: On June 22...

For Cher: On June 22, Prince William attended the wedding of Thomas Van Straubenzee to Lady Melissa Percy, daughter of the Duke of Northumberland Ralph Percy. I think this was in Northumberland. There were pictures online, can you tell me about the dress of the guests, bridesmaids, and male attendants? Is it designed to look nice, or does it match too much or unusually on purpose? One picture showed Prince William holding an umbrella with a wooden handle next to a badge he was wearing, they happened to match, this was purposeful, what does it mean? Thank you. The bridesmaids wore a tan color that matched the walkways and buildings used for the ceremony, was that done for looking nice or too much of a match on purpose? Referring to wedding with

Prince William of England attending.

6/23/2013
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Hello again, and thanks for your request.

Please allow me a little time to research this for you and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,
Cher

O.K., there are more pictures if you type in "wedding of

Thomas Van Straubenzee and Lady Melissa Percy" and

then click on search or "go", on msn.com or I assume

others!

Hi again, and thanks so much for your patience.

I'm so sorry, I sent this answer, but I guess it didn't go through before your last reply. I was looking at many of the pictures (that's what took so much time), but I will also look at the ones you suggested. Yes, they're all basically the same.

The bridesmaids wore the same color in variations of the same dress because that was the choice of the bride. The ushers (Prince William was best man) and Prince William (and the groom) all wore the same suits and variations in colors of their vests and ties, but all within the same color 'family' and purposely to match each other. This was also the selection of the bride and groom, which is traditional.

The walkway seemed to be covered in a similar tan color (but not the exact same) as the bridesmaids' dresses, and I believe this was not to match the dresses, or color 'theme' of the wedding, but just because it was a neutral color. The castle where they got married was the same one used in the Harry Potter movies. They did not dress to match the buildings of the castle. All the guests wore outfits of their choosing and there was no uniformity there.

The umbrella with the wooden handle Prince William is carrying, I believe was just an umbrella, due to the rainy weather, and not intended to match anything. I didn't notice the medal you were referring to, in the pictures I saw. If you can send a link to that particular picture, it would be helpful. It seems that many people had the same white or blue umbrella with the brown handle, most likely provided by the bride and groom, in the event of rain, which, as you may know, is very frequent in England.

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. If my response has satisfied all your concerns, a positive rating and positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question to Just Answer!

Warmest regards,
Cher

The picture showed the tie ornament worn by Prince William, I could not

find it. Was there any posing for pictures or in case a picture was taken

that was done by the guests, bridesmaids, and male attendants that

emphasized things matching that did not usually match, colors, or shapes?

Were the boutonierres (spelling?) an unusual match or not a match, and

the bridesmaid dresses though chosen by the bride, do you think they

were chosen to match the "venue" or did they or were they chosen to

match in an unusual way, too neutral or matched something else too

much, rather than traditional? Thanks.

Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

Please allow me a little time to look for additional pictures of the tie ornament, if I can find them, and then I will respond.

Best regards,
Cher
Hi again,

The tie ornament worn by Prince William looks to be something he chose himself, as all groomsmen are not wearing tie ornaments. I can't tell from the picture if it is a 'medal' or just a tie pin/ornament; it gives a lightly wooden appearance, but may be metal. It was certainly not chosen to match the umbrella handle you referenced earlier.

The boutonnieres for the men in the wedding party are all royal blue flowers that were chosen by the bride and groom. It seems that although the men's vest styles and colors and tie colors vary, they all seem to be wearing light blue shirts, so the dark blue boutonnieres would compliment this. Some shirts may also be white.

I don't believe the bridesmaids' dresses color/style were chosen to match the venue, but because the bride and her bridesmaids liked the color and style of the dresses. Now, when you say 'matched the venue', if you are referring to the color of the building and the ground covering, as you mentioned earlier, the answer is no. However, since there don't seem to be any photos (yet) of the dinner/celebration, we don't know the 'theme' color and perhaps the bridesmaids' dresses matched that---sort of a champagne color.

The groomsmen were not wearing identical outfits, except for the suit/tails, so this was a departure from 'the traditional', which many people are doing these days. Although, basically everything 'matched' and did not 'clash', as I mentioned earlier, the vests were of different types and colors, as were the ties. I think this made it more colorful and festive.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Right, and do you or did you see any posing or pictures where the

people posed or were ready for a picture to be taken such that

some things matched which would not traditionally do so, like

Prince William holding the umbrella close to the tie as if the

ornament matched it for the picture (not done but on purpose) not

that he would pick it to match the umbrella! Anything like that in any

of the pictures? Anything definitely not usually matching or not

something you would say matched in a usual way but did? In any

of the pictures, not all but enough to say if that happened or not?

Thanks!

Hi again, and you're most welcome!

I will research additional pictures, if they are available. Because the wedding just took place yesterday, it might be difficult to impossible to find any 'posed' pictures online.

I'm a little confused by what you asked here: "Anything definitely not usually matching or not something you would say matched in a usual way but did?"

Can you please explain a little more specifically what you are looking for and what you mean by this? Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher

I happened to find the picture of Prince William holding

the umbrella, it's on "Images of Lady Melissa Percy's

Wedding", on bing.com. Did he pose like that so the

umbrella matched the tie ornament, sort of on purpose?

Are the blue flowers the men wore a little too not

coordinated, they are bright, but they match? Another

photo which may help you know what I am asking,

Kate Middleton at Naomi House Children's Hospice

event, the peach outfit, is it too much matching with

her complexion or skin color or in some other unusual

way? I don't search for these but saw it when it

happened and there was a picture of her waving and

her hand matched her outfit too much, does she and

the photographer know this? Like if you have a picture

taken of you and your friend on a lawn and you both

wore green, a lot of it, that exactly matched the lawn so it

looked unusual except it matched? Usually wouldn't

wear green for that type of thing; I would really

appreciate knowing if that was happening at those

recent society events. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX but is there

something that looks unusual except that it matches,

being done in these photos? I thought the outfit, picture at the

Naomi House hospice event could have been that way

or was it just matching beautifully or fine, not unusually? In the

question, I asked if anything at that wedding would be

considered not usually to be matching, but was matching

or was done on purpose, something not usually matching or

having to match but treated as though it was matching,

attention drawn to it that way. Thanks!

Hi again, and thanks for your reply with further explanation.

I understand better what you're asking, now.

I'll check out that picture of Kate Middleton in the peach outfit and then send you an answer regarding all your questions about this. You have very good insight! : )

Will reply soon,
Cher
Hi again,

Ok, I saw the pictures of Princess Kate in the beige dress and peach coat at Naomi House Hospice and I think that the peach coat complements her complexion. Although she is naturally 'fair', in many pictures she often looks quite tan.

Let's not forget that the Royals have a 'dresser'. Now, because Kate and William are more modern than the older royals, they may choose their own outfits and dress themselves, however, I'm sure that there is 'someone' assigned to make sure they look appropriate and coordinated. I think everything is done purposely in a case like dressing for this wedding and whatever they decided should match or not match was carefully thought out. Personally, I don't think the royal blue flower matched all the men's suits, shirts, vests and ties, but whoever coordinated the event decided on that color, I'm sure, with the approval of the bride and groom.

Sometimes, things are done accidentally on purpose, to draw attention and I understand what you're getting at; however, in this case, there were many coordinators and decision makers in this wedding and the colors, etc., were what they wanted.

I understand your comparison to taking a picture dressed in green, on green grass. Sometimes, it may be a coincidence and other times, it's a 'set up' photo that was meant to look like that, but 'said' to be a coincidence.

Everything at this wedding was done on purpose and coordinated as the couple wanted it to be. I don't think there's any relation between the wooden handle of William's umbrella and his tie ornament and the way he's holding the umbrella is just the way he's holding it. Unless, someone said, 'Oh, Will, look at that, your tie ornament matches the umbrella handle' and he held it up to be funny. That's a pure guess, but could have happened--if the ornament is, indeed made of wood.

As time goes on, there should be more posed pictures from the wedding available online.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you notice any things like the funny thing Prince William would have done to match his tie
ornament with the umbrella handle, in the pictures

which are available? Although well planned, do you think the men's royal blue flowers did not match each

one's outfit but matched as a group, and do you think

the men's outfits not being the same or ties, that they

did not match sort of on purpose though planned, or

that it is only modern? It seems they did not match

and that was part of it. Also the peach outfit worn at

the hospice event with Kate Middleton, you do

consider that a normal planned pick, not so she could

have something that matched unusually?And can you

take any special thing from Pippa Middleton's outfit

at the same wedding, is it an unusual pattern except

the pattern matches itself? It seemed unusual to me,

kind of dark except it matched, or too dark, or do you

think it should be taken at "face value", only? Was it

too dark sort of on purpose? I'm so glad for your help

with this question so I understand about it.

Hi again, and you're most welcome.

It's my pleasure to help you understand more about this. : )

I do think the men's royal blue boutonierres were meant to match as a group and since blues were a theme in the men's clothing, it was planned and acceptable.

No, in the many pictures I viewed, it did not seem like Prince William was doing anything funny re: the umbrella handle and his tie ornament.

Kate Middleton's peach outfit--yes, I do consider that a planned and matched pick. The colors were appropriate for the season and it was a maternity outfit, after all. I think the light beige dress under the peach coat could have been of a less clingy material, or a little thicker, or she should have been wearing a slip, as I could see her protruding belly button, so this picture must have been taken quite recently, as she's very pregnant in it. That's my personal comment on that! : )

I did not care for Pippa Middleton's outfit for this recent wedding; I agree with you that it was too 'busy' and in the very first picture I saw of her, it appeared to be a design of several different colors (a print), and I thought it was not pretty at all. Then, in more pictures I realized it was black and white (or dark blue and white) and I hated it less, but I didn't love it on her. No, I don't think it was too dark on purpose, that's just the way it looked.

From seeing many of the other women's outfits, I must say, I didn't like many of them. That's just my opinion. I did like the bridesmaid's dresses, though.

Warmest regards,
Cher

And, the men's blue boutonierres, were they meant to
match to look nice, or were they meant to match to not

just look nice but to make a point that they were

matching as a group, meaning was it done just to look

nice and happened to match as a group, or was it

that they were more matching as a group than

individually with the outfits, or that the outfits did not

match while the flowers did, were these things done

with that point of either matching or not or was it just ly to look nice, coordinated like you said? And were the

women dressing kind of dark or not pretty except things

matched and maybe too much? And was Kate's peach

outfit at the hospice event planned to match her skin

too much or should they have known better or is it

normal?

Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

The men's flowers were chosen to match so everyone wore the same flowers in their lapels, as is tradition.

No, the peach outfit Kate wore was not chosen to match her skin; it was chosen because it was appropriate for the occasion and the color was flattering on her.

The women at the wedding, except for the bridal party, chose their own outfits and they were not all dark in color; I would assume they all tried to choose what was fashionable.

Please take a moment to rate my answer positive so I receive credit for my assistance.
Thank you, I'd appreciate it!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Thanks very much for your excellent rating; it is truly appreciated!

Have a wonderful day.

Best regards,
Cher (this is being sent as a 'request for information', but no information is required at this time; it's simply a 'thank you'! : ) )
Cher
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT