Entertainment

Have Entertainment Questions? Ask an Expert

Entertainment

Hi. What are the best film schools online that arent $100s

Hi. What are the best...
Hi. What are the best film schools online that aren't $100's and where is the best place to learn script writing online i want courses for script writing that are good providers and quite cheap?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/8/2013
Michael
Michael, Entertainment Industry Analyst
Online study is the wave of the future in terms of education and film schools are no exception.

In terms of the best film schools, here is the top 25 from the trade industry publication Hollywood Reporter. Prices per year are listed and a number of these schools offer online courses for a degree in film. Price to study online may be a bit different than attending a class in person but prices are getting closer to those that sit in class instead of online:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/25-best-film-schools-rankings-215714

As for online screen writing, I know many people who have taken the courses at UCLA online. It is known in the industry to be one of the bigger programs for those that want to get started writing:

http://www.filmprograms.ucla.edu/index_os.cfm?action=os_pps&side=os

Here are some other option that are less in cost and can get you started:

http://www.writersstore.com/courses/online-courses/

While this list was published a few years ago, these schools still hold up as some of the best and also offer online courses as well:

http://www.independent-magazine.org/magazine/2008/12/screenwritingten

Hi. Any others?

Most of the research I have conducted have the same schools listed as top in their field of study and offer online study. Price will vary with each but should fall under the amount you are looking for.

Besides the UCLA and USC film school, here is a list that you can work with (in no particular order) All are listed as accredited which is something you want to have if you choose another school online:

Yale
USC
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Berkeley
Columbia
Stanford
Northwestern
NYU
Dartmouth
Vanderbilt
Boston College
Ohio State
Swarthmore College
Middlebury College

If you are just wanting to study film and nothing else, then consider these online schools:

http://online.academyart.edu/schools/motion-picture-television

http://online.tft.ucla.edu/

http://m.nyfa.edu/

Hi.

http://m.nyfa.edu/ this one doesn't seem to be online?

The last three schools I sent often advertise for those interested in film school (UCLA included). They may not offer online courses but they do have locations throughout the country. Academy of Art has classes online that are similar in nature to the classroom setting. Same goes for UCLA.

As for online schools, the college and universities are leading the charge in this area and offer the widest in terms of access to study online. More and more colleges are getting into online study and California is working on getting more access in their schools in the state.

Best to look at the list sent earlier from the Hollywood Reporter and see about their online study as well as cost. They are accredited and that is something you need to consider when getting your degree and looking for that new job you will be seeking out when you graduate!

Michael
Michael, Entertainment Industry Analyst

I want to ask a related question is that ok?

The question is http://www.writersstore.com/courses/online-courses/ is that a good one and is it likely to close down?

For writing movie scripts do i need good English to write and learn it?

The writer store from what I see has been around for many years and you can take courses online which is good. Since they are based in the US, I would believe that a written understanding of English would be necessary. I would though follow up with them to see about their language requirements.

Are there any other online courses i can do where i can get help from the tutors or teachers at a higher level of script writing that won't cost me $100 or more?

There seems to be some services that tutors can help at a lower cost than going to a college and/or university. Online services also are available.

Here are a few for you to review:

1. http://thescriptwritersacademy.com/

2. This services offers some free help which is nice as it would not hurt to try out: http://www.writingcoursestorylive.com/how-to-write-movies-and-film-scripts-scriptwriting/

3. http://www.writersworkshop.co.uk/screenwriting-courses.html

There still quite expensive am looking for under £100 ones that teach up to advanced levels of script writing?

Somewhat difficult to find something with that cost and also offer a quality program.

Here though is a list of free courses that are offered by accredited schools:

http://education-portal.com/articles/10_Universities_Offering_Free_Writing_Courses_Online.html

Do you know of any script writing courses that are Japanese based?

Michael
Michael
Michael, Entertainment Industry Analyst