Entertainment

Have Entertainment Questions? Ask an Expert

Entertainment

I am a beauty expert who has been asked to manage the overall

identity, image, to develop an...
I am a beauty expert who has been asked to manage the overall identity, image, to develop an aspirational culture and a brand for of beauty consultants for the national rollout for a national retail store.
They have asked me to host in person events in each market every quater or 6 months.
To reguarly contribute content to weekly lessons and to mentor the management team including the National Director, Regional Managers.
What is the range and how much do I charge?
8/30/2012
Ask Veronica
Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be working with you today on what sounds like a very exciting opportunity.

As a Talent Agent, I negotiate these types of contracts daily, and I have several questions for you so I can give you an accurate price range:

1- As a Beauty Expert, do you currently have any type of representation ?

2- Do you presently make either live or televised appearances as a Beauty Expert ?

3- What qualifies you as an expert in your field ?

4- How did this client find you or did you or someone on your behalf pitch you to this client ?

5- You mention national roll out of a national retail store. I assume this retail store is represented in or almost in every state ?

6- Will your personal appearances require public association of your name and likeness with their brand and/or store ?

7- In terms of weekly content, are you being asked to present written materials for approval or are they looking to you as the expert to provide the original framework ?

8- Are you being asked to sign any documents to secure your representation for a particular length of time, or will this be left to your discretion ?

9- If you do accept this offer, will the time commitment prevent you from performing services with your already established client base ?

10- About how many of your peers in this specialized field are qualified for the same offer ?

11- Overall, do you feel this opportunity will increase your value in the professional community as a Beauty Expert after your time of representing their product ends ?

12- In terms of mentoring their teams, will this be done as in person sessions or over skype ? If in person, can you guess how often you would have to travel ?

Please provide any additional information you fee is relevant and I look forward to your response.

Best,

Veronica

No.

My recent trip was for the same client (branding company) to host a seminar for one day which was recorded for the company website. Thus enabling new Beauty Advisor employees to read my training manual and watch the video recordings of me teaching the Beauty Advisors.

For 12 years I managed the careers of Celebrity Hair, Makeup and Stylists. I became very knowledgeable about beauty. I have also written for a Beauty publication.

I was pitched to the branding company by a colleague to write a training manual for the Beauty Advisors, they were impressed, this led into a request for me to host one day of a three day seminar.

Yes.

Yes.

Provide the original framework, they have asked me how I would execute and what would be the content?

The last time that I worked for this client I was an independent contractor, I created a training manual and hosted 1 day of a 3 day seminar to train the Beauty Advisors. The contract expired after 2 months.

The initial project was for the test market, now they have asked me to compile a proposal for the national rollout which I presume will be for a an extended amount of time.

I would prefer to work for them exclusively but I don't want to this to be obvious.

I will have to dedicate the majority of my time to the national rollout, travelling, consulting and writing for what I suspect will be around 20 hours a week.

I don't know that I know a direct answer to that question...

As the majority of my experience is derived from being behind the scenes and dealing with the business aspect as opposed to soley being an artist, the client choose to work with me because of my unique perspective, beauty knowledge and ease of public speaking.

At the end of the last seminar I hosted the client was extremely happy with my presentation, and stated that I was very interesting and riveting to speak with, the perfect candidate for the job and where did the branding company find me?

Absolutley, my goal is to obtain more clients in the beauty arena.

The mentoring would probably take place over skype. I believe that the seminars would be held once or twice a month around the country.

I am concerned as I want to present myself as knowledgeable about current rates that I do not under or over bid myself.

The branding company was very excited to introduce me to the retail brand and made quite a big deal about introducing me as a Celebrity Beauty Expert. They asked me to hype up my associations working in the entertainment industry. The branding company stated that they were Beyond happy with my presentation, that the client was happy and the Beauty Advisors respected and liked me. All that to say that at the end of the day having worked behind the scenes for many years there is a value to working with people who are beyond proficient that we actually like.

Best,

Veronica

It seems this is a unique position and one that the company has not had prior to you or my guess is they would already have an established rate.

My gut feeling calculating travel, personal appearances, writing, and the use of your already built brand, the rate should be somewhere between:

$ 200,000. - $ 250,000.00 for the first six months ( 50% to be paid within the initial 90 days and 50% upon 6 month completion ) with an option to renew for an additional six months with consent from both parties.

I would ask for first class air travel, 5 star accommodations, car service, a per diem, and make sure they become the insurer.

I am basing this number on the theoretical amount of clients you have to give up in order for this company to have exclusive rights to your expertise, the use of your image, likeness and trade secret, the creation of original material that will become their property in perpetuity, for all of the on-line recorded materials, travel time, and your personal appearances/training days.

I don't know who your client is, but I am thinking along the lines of a top end retail chain like a Bloomindale's.

Is this number relative to the type of rate when you performed services as an independent contractor ?

Lastly, I would not try and negotiate this deal yourself. It sounds like it has the potential to be a spring board for you professionally and financially fruitful.

I would recommend hiring an entertainment lawyer to negotiate on your behalf. This will show the retail company that you mean business and will remove you from the awkward position of being in the middle.

Let me know your thoughts on the suggested numbers and please let me know if you have additional questions.

Best,

Veronica
If t

You were super informative, I have a wealth of information about my field of expertise but have little knowledge in your arena. I thank you for your insight.

I am submitting my proposal to the branding company not the retail store. The branding company will be submitting a proposal including my submission to the retail store.

I honestly don't have a problem with negotiating I just did not have a reference point.

Would it not be deemed odd for me to now have an attorney negotiating on my behalf to the branding company?

Thank you

I am so glad I could help. Remember, as an independent contractor, you can easily command $ 1,500.00 for a day on a project. When you factor in the other variables mentioned above, I feel confident you will be going in at a fair rate.

I would also like to see you limit the first term in the event you do not enjoy the position and you would still most likely be able to retain your regular client base.

If you feel comfortable dealing with the branding company on your own, follow your instinct. I agree if you had previously dealt with them without representation, it might throw them off, but, I don't think it would hurt for you to at least consult with an attorney.

Good luck, and again, I'm here if you need any more advice.

Veronica

Ask Veronica
Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.

Your timely response and advice were exceptional!

Your lovely compliment made my day!

Give me a shout if you need anything.

Good luck to you,

Veronica
Ask Veronica
Ask Veronica
Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.