Entertainment

Have entertainment questions? Ask an Expert online

Podcasting: Hope you can help with some suggestions. I started…

Podcasting: Hope you can...
Podcasting: Hope you can help with some suggestions. I started a podcast several months back, and my listener base increased from about 30 people, to a range of 450 to 1,350 listeners for the past five weeks. For the past two weeks, my listener base has dropped significantly to around 200 listeners per podcast. I can't understand why a huge increase (over 1000 people) to the low numbers that I currently have.

Here is a bit of background: the podcast, titled "Newbe Paranormal Podcast" is archived (we don't go live) every weekend, a FB notification is sent out, a message via blogtalk radio, an email to my followers (Over 70). The podcast is usually anywhere from 12 to 20 minutes long. I start out with music, mainly archived music from GarageBand, which is the software
that I use, and use about seven seconds to 10 seconds of sound effects/music about three times during the podcast to "break it up." Here is the mission, if you will, of the podcast. As stated in the title, Newbe Paranormal Podcast is designed for newbies and the field of paranormal investigating.

We emphasize in our statement that "we are all newbies"

I usually solo the podcast, and discuss topics that are of interest and relevant to the paranormal investigator, such as preparing for a case, the different entities that one may come up against.

The information is presented on a "basic" level, and even well seasoned investigators claim to love the podcasts. Some of the topics range from "how to pick a team," to recognizing evil entities, and how to handle oneself in their presence. To give the show some variety, I often discuss topics such as "sleep paralysis," the witching hour: what exactly is it" and other interesting yet basic subjects.

So, to sum up, the podcast is basically a narrative, with what I consider to be right to the point, "excellent" information. Again, the mystery to me is fine solicitors dropped off so suddenly and significantly after being consistently high for several weeks.

I'm not sure if this is a question that I can find help with on the side (which I use yearly weekly).

Again, I use blog talk radio, and I forgot to mention one thing: I have set up a site using WordPress, but have not pursued promoting that.

Thanks for any pointers that you can give me.

Sincerely,

Tommy Bowers
8/27/2012
Ask Veronica
Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.
Hello Tommy,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be working on your question today. I specialize in talent

and marketing and I believe I will be able to share beneficial advice with you.

Before we start, I have a few questions:

1-
Is your podcast on Itunes ?

2- If not, have you ever submitted your podcast to Itunes ?

3- Are you utilizing your keyword options ?

4- Do your listeners leave reviews and comments ?

5- Do you have a subscribe button on your site ?

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,

Veronica

No, podcast is not on iTunes.

No I have never used iTunes for my podcast

Keyword options are the same now as they were when my listeners were much higher. That's one reason that I am confused for having lost so many listeners

No reviews or comments.

Blog talk radio does not offer the option to subscribe. So no, I have not done that
Hi Tommy,

I just want to make sure this is not a mistype as I tried to listen to your show, but i am getting 52,000.00 results. Is it Newbe or Newbie ?

Thanks,

Veronica
It is "Newbe Paranormal Podcast". By the way, the second part on demons is the best!
Podcast ratings are based on the following :

1 - Which Podcast Directories you are registered with

2- Number of clicks you get on the site

3- RSS Newsfeeds

My guess is either A) Due to Paranormal Shows returning to television your numbers spiked

or

B) August is typically a dead month in entertainment and you might be feeling the affects as well

The definitive answer should be found by emailing:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/contactus.aspx.

Since they are hosting your show, they should be able to explain the peaks and dips in your ratings.

I would like to send you some advice on how to expand your audience if you are interested. Also, if you can send me a link to your show that would be great !

If I have not addressed your original question, please let me know and I will continue to research until I find the answer.

Best,

Veronica
Ask Veronica
Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.
Veronica:

Gladly! You've been most helpful!

Yes, I would very much like to receive info on how to expand my audience.

The site for my show: DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

Thanks again!

Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Thank you for your excellent rating and your generous bonus!

1-800-YOU-ARE-AWESOME

Please do not close this question as I will post back my ideas and links for your show.

I love your format, it's really good.

Have you ever had a guest from one of the cable shows, like Ghost Hunters, on your podcast ? That would definitely boost your "Q" rating. Also, Halloween is approaching and it is a great time to start promoting this genre of podcast as ratings will sky rocket during the month of October.

I will be back!

Stay tuned,

Veronica

Here are some simple ways to improve your Podcast Profile:

1- The name is extremely important. If it is not something common, it will NOT appear in a google or podcast directory search.

I know your program title Newbe Paranormal Podcast might have meaning to you, but it will never show up in a search. I would think about re-branding.

2- Make sure each episode has its own independent title. DO NOT title episode 1,2,3, ect... as that will never show up in a search. But, if episode 20 is about Paranormal Activity on Cruise Ships and titled as such, your chances of getting new listeners based on word searches has increased ten fold.

3- You mentioned you subscribe to Wordpress but do not use it. Start using it. You will have an RSS Feed, provide more listening platforms for your listeners, and it will automatically sync your Twitter and Facebook.

4- Overall Branding: I would secure a domain name ( godaddy.com ) , and have an individual Facebook and Twitter solely dedicated to your Podcast.

5- An easy way to legitimize your Podcast, is to have a toll free number which is not expensive (http://www.toll-free800.com/), a business mailing address (just make sure it is not your home ), a contact email for your listeners to make contact with you directly, and most important, a review and comments section. These additions will increase your credibility, engage your listeners, and foster a loyal following.

6- Keep to a regular release schedule. For instance, I would post every 13th day of the month.

7- Think about having your Podcast recorded in other languages and post them together. Spanish is a no brainer. Esperanto might be an interesting way to go......

8- Include a link for listeners to order basic merchandise, t-shirts, mouse pads, magnets.... advertising your logo and your brand. Automatic walking billboards. There are many economical bulk sites and I am happy to provide you links. Don't miss out on Halloween. Think of a clever cross promotion to bring traffic to your site ( only if you have re-branded ).

9- Keywords are so so important. Make sure you are making the most of this.

10 - Once you have fine tuned and re-branded, get your Podcast on Itunes.
This is a must. There will be a subscribe button on your Itunes page and you must encourage your listeners to click it. This will get you ranked!!!!!!

This should be your Podcast Bible:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html

Some other thoughts.

11- Contact radio stations, local cable news, and/or satellite radio programs and pitch yourself as a guest in your area of expertise. Take that time to promote the heck out of your Podcast.

12- Do the same with magazines and blogs in the Paranormal World. Get your name and brand out there. Be aggressive.

13- Lastly, invite well known TV personalities in the Paranormal area to be a guest on your show. Your ratings should triple. Let me know if you need a marketing and contact list.

This is a good start. If you need more detailed information on any of the points, give me a shout.

Get to work, and you might have a hit on your hands!

Veronica
Hi Tommy,

I don't think you got my follow up, but here it is again.

This should be your Podcast Bible:

Some other thoughts.

Veronica
Ask Veronica
Ask Veronica
Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.