Entertainment

Have entertainment questions? Ask an Expert online

re name of movie CLASSIC I hope this isnt too trivial to…

Customer Question
re: name of movie CLASSIC...
re: name of movie CLASSIC: I hope this isn't too trivial to spend an expert's time on; but I have looked through every film database I can think of and have done so many google searches and still can't find it. I'm certain it would take any film buff but a second to identify.

It's in B & W, probably in the 40's, wherein a young girl is taken off the streets and taught proper etiquette, taught how to dress, how to behave properly in upper-crust society; the theme upon which dozens of movies have been made, i.e. Pretty Woman. However, this particular movie is such a classic as people often refer to it in everyday speech as the ______ complex. My mind's eye seems to think it begins with a "P". Anyone able to spend but a second to remind me the name of the film?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Entertainment
6/29/2011
Entertainment Expert: Martin, Engineer replied 6 years ago
Martin, Engineer
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

I can't seem to find the movie but the ______ blank you left remind me of the Cinderella complex.

Do you have other possible hint for us, like in what city is it taking place, any particular actors, American or British, any particular memorable scenes?
Entertainment Expert: Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT replied 6 years ago
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
HiCustomer and welcome back to Just Answer!

I believe the movie you are looking for is "Kitty", made in 1945, and starring Ray Milland and Paulette Goddard. The "P" you were thinking of, was probably 'Pygmalion' (a 1916 play by George Bernard Shaw), as that's the type of rags to riches story it is, and on which the play and film "My Fair Lady" are based. Please read more, here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037849/ and here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037849/plotsummary

A 'Pygmalion complex' is defined as "The desire to create or work on someone, something until it's perfect. Some plastic surgeons have Pygmalion complex
(while working on their patients)." from: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pygmalion%20complex

There is also a rather recent book with the title, "The Pygmalion Complex" by Elaine Gordon. http://www.kwspub.com/The_Pygmalion_Complex.html

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
I am greatly impressed. You got it spot on the money. I had the general concept all wrong, but Pygmalion was exactly what I was looking for. Wow! You are a tremendous asset to justanswer.com. Feel free to quote me :-)
Hi again Lesli, and thanks very much for your kind words, which are greatly appreciated!

I'm so glad I was able to help you identify the movie and the 'P' word you had in the back of your mind!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Once I read your description, I knew exactly the film you were thinking of!

It was my pleasure to help, and if you would like to add these comments to your positive feedback, I would be most grateful!

Please feel free to request me by name ("For Cher') at the beginning of any future questions.

Warmest best regards,
Cher