Entertainment

Have Entertainment Questions? Ask an Expert

Entertainment

I have a friend who is about to step into the Music Business.

Customer Question
I passed along some of...
I have a friend who is about to step into the Music Business. I passed along some of his material to some of my friends that are well connected. Long Story short I think they like him. I havent discussed it with him just yet but should I ask for a Finders Fee or wait for him to being it up on his own?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Entertainment
6/18/2011
Entertainment Expert: Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT replied 6 years ago
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Hi, and welcome back to Just Answer.

You're a very good friend! Smile

At this point, I think you should see how things progress and allow him time to bring it up on his own. If, by the time things start to hopefully, pan out successfully for him, and he still hasn't said anything, that might be a good time to give him a gentle reminder and mention that without your connections and recommendations, he would not be in the great position he is now......if he doesn't take a 'hint' from that, then ask him, in a friendly way, for a Finders Fee, since you helped him tremendously by passing along some of his material to the right people who could give him a jump-start in his music career.

I hope things turn out well for you and your friend!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Thank you for that...appreciate that...but what would be a appropriate amount or precent?
Hi again, and you're most welcome.

Thanks for your patience, as I was offline when you posted back.

I think at this point, it would be best to wait and see if the people you connected him with are able to give him the opportunity to launch his music career, and then see how he does. If he is successful, a flat fee, depending upon how well he's doing, would be appropriate, but this would depend on how much he's made so far in the music business. You're a good friend who did him a favor and hooked him up with the right people, but you don't know yet, if his career will take off. If he does well, due to your connection, and starts selling singles and/or albums, you could ask for a flat fee or a certain percentage, based on what he is earning. You would then begin getting into an area where a contract may be required, to lay out all the amounts you both agree to, and that would need to be negotiated by an entertainment lawyer. Your friend will also need a booking agent and the percentage agents get, is typically 10%-15%. If you asked for 5%, I think that would be fair, but again, you need to work this out with your friend and a legal document may be the safest way to conduct this business, so there are no hard feelings, later.

Best regards,
Cher
Thank you. DO you know of any good entertainment lawyers in the NC/GA area?
Hello again, and you're most weclome!

I don't know of any entertainment lawyers, personally, but I've researched this information for you and found the following: http://www.musicpowers.com/entertainment-attorneys/

http://alansclarke.com/

http://www.avvo.com/entertainment-lawyer/ga/atlanta.html

http://www.ncentertainmentlaw.com/music/

Look for people who have many years experience and no misconduct against them.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Cher
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT