Entertainment

Have entertainment questions? Ask an Expert online

This is really a travel question - for my entertainment - but…

This is really a travel...
This is really a travel question - for my entertainment - but what category ? I want to take a freighter ship to Athens, Greece and not fly. I can't find where to check on this, I know others in the past that I worked with used to take vacations on freighters all the time, and that they also do carry some passengers, but where can I find info on them ?
My company closed long ago and those agents are long gone & disappeared now. I hate to fly, Hate it now days. Commercial cruise lines want a round trip and I don't, they also are too expensive. Can you help ?
6/13/2011
stayathomemomof2
stayathomemomof2, Entertainment Fan

I have found some information for you about how to take a freighter ship rather than commercial travel. Here are some articles that I think you will find helpful on your search for finding a ship to take you to Greece -

http://travel.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/06/freighter_cruise.php (basic information, may not be as helpful as other websites)

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/04/17/travel/practical-traveler-how-to-book-passage-on-a-freighter.html?sec=travel&spon=&pagewanted=all (this one lists some travel agents that specialize in booking freighter ship transportation in the middle of the article and a list of some of the cargo companies that will book passage on their ships)

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/ (this is a travel company that works with cargo ships)

http://wikitravel.org/en/Freighter_travel (this website also lists travel agencies and cargo companies, the ones that have a highlighted number has a link straight to their website for more information)

If you have any other questions that are not addressed above please let me know and I will strive to find out more about that for you.

stayathomemomof2
stayathomemomof2, Entertainment Fan
This looks great, it will take me a little time to research, thanks. Gina