Entertainment

Have Entertainment Questions? Ask an Expert

Entertainment

I need a detailed plot of the movie called Happy New Year ,

Customer Question
I need a detailed plot...
I need a detailed plot of the movie called "Happy New Year", from 1987, starring Peter Falk. Thank you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_New_Year_(1987_film)
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Entertainment
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2010
Entertainment Expert: Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT replied 7 years ago
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

You can read a detailed plot of the movie, here: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800074422/details

There is additional information, inlcuding a full cast listing, here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093145/

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Regards,
Cher

this is not as detailed as I need. I need to know what happens in the movie, say every 5 minutes or so. I need to know how the movie starts etc - and that's no described in the link at all..it all just says the core "idea", but not the plot.

The answer needs to come from a person who saw this movie.

Thank you

at least I need to know the first 20 minutes or so. What does it start with?
Hi again, and thanks for your reply and your clarification of what you need regarding this movie.

I will need to research this further for you and get back to you with additional information, as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience.
Cher
Thank you - I am looking forward to it.
You're most welcome!

Regards,
Cher

maybe you can watch the movie online on Amazon.com? I would pay for it. It's $2.99 to view. Unfortunately I can't view it as it's not available in my country. Even if you just watch the first 20 minutes it will be enough. Thank you. I will pay for it.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

I was trying to locate it online to view (free) and was unsuccessful. If you know it's available at Amazon.com, I'll check it out and definitely can watch the first 20 minutes for you. Please allow me some time to do this, if it's possible to view at Amazon.

Thanks for your patience.
Cher

it is available to view on amazon. For 24-hours just $2.99. Please try it. Thank you so much!
Hello again,

Yes, I will check Amazon as soon as possible and let you know.

Regards,
Cher
Hi again,

Ok, I paid $2.99 to watch it from Amazon.

At the very beginning, it's narration over the credits by Charles Durning's character Charlie. He explains that his partner 'Nick' (peter falk) says a perfect job (heist) has fallen through because his partner got hit by a bus. he's (nick) always talking about the 'perfect psychological heist'. they know each other since reform school, but have never really worked together. nick says this job could net them $1.5 million, each. he (nick) doesn't like to fly, so travels by train. he always says (nick) re: jewels and dames: 'you got one, you get the other'.

next scene on a train, a frenchman says he lost his wallet and is searching for it, in the seat next to charlie. charlie asks what was in it? cash, traveler's checks? yes, the man says (think it's implied that charlie stole the wallet). they leave the train. nick takes a taxi to a fancy hotel in West Palm Bach, Florida. charlie buys a car from a man in a remote, deserted area. pays $400 or $4000 cash for it (not sure, he throws bundles of cash to the man on the hood of the car and counts, "1,2,3,4".

next scene, fancy hotel room the two men share. it's so big, charlie says, it reminds him of Orchard Beach (a popular Bronx, New York, USA beach).

next scene, they're 'casing the joint' (observintg/checking it out) from a car across the street from Harry Winston Jewelers. making notes of the times when the manager arrives, what time the front gate opens, when sales girls arrive, when jewels are placed in the window, and most importantly, when the doorman arrives. he sees a pretty girl outside the store. she works in the antiques store next to the jewelry store. he likes her looks. They discuss that the safe in the jewelry store is 'uncrackable'.

next scene, nick is dressed as an elderly man, walking with a cane. he enters the store, wants to buy earrings (ear clips) for 86 yr. old wife, sick in hospital. price is $49,999. it bothers him that they don't make it an 'even' number like $50,000. manager (with british accent) waits on him. he chooses ruby earrings and says he'll write a check. says he knew harry winston personally, many years ago. manager tells him harry winston passed away 3 years ago, now his son ronald winston owns the company.

next scene--hotel room, Nick taking off his old man mask. says manager is 'perfect' for the job, to his partner, Charlie

next scene, fancy restaurant. the men are about to order. nick sees the pretty antiques store girl at the next table. she offers to buy an antique table there, from the restaurant owner (who is French), who says, no, it is not for sale (for any price). then nick asks to buy it and is told the same thing, but offers a lot ($7,000) and buys the table.

next scene, nick takes the table to the antiques store and wants to sell it to them. the pretty girl (with british accent) says she is in love with this table and smiles and shows a fellow female saleswoman in the store, the table. nick compliments her smile. he says he wants $9,000 for the table. she says she doesn't want to buy it. he leaves, then comes right back and asks if she will take it on consignment. she says yes, i can do that. he looks at her like he adores her. tells her he is in room 510 in the hotel, so she can let him know if/when it sells.

next scene, he comes back to harry winston jewelers dressed as an older woman. mentions again, to his partner (in voiceover) about a 'psychological heist'. tells the manager, his 'brother' bought these ear clips for his wife Ethel, who's sick in hospital and she doesn't like them--she's 'fussy'--so he wants to buy a bracelet for her instead and doesn't want his brother to know the wife didn't like the ear clips. the manager, named Edward, compliments the brooch Nick, as the older woman, is wearing, and says it's 'french you know'. he purchases a $60,000 diamond bracelet for 'Ethel', his sick sister in law.

And that's about the first 20 minutes of the movie.

Sorry for the lack of capital letters; I was typing quickly, as I remembered what I watched.

I hope this helped you, and please remember to click 'ACCEPT' so I can get compensated for my time. The only way I can think of for you to reimburse me the $2.99 viewing fee, as you offered, is by adding a 'bonus' of at least $5 (we only receive a partial amount of the bonus from the site) or whatever amount over that, you wish.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 11/11/2010 at 3:34 AM EST
Hello Cher,

great reply, thank you. I need to know one more thing. When exactly is there a scene in the movie when the heist falls through? I need to know at what minute Nick takes off his mask and surrenders to the police. And also, when exactly in the movie is there a scene when Nick is being released from prison? Is there is such a scene. I will need to know at what minute this scene occurs and what happens in the next 10 minutes after the scene. That will be all I need.

I will also add additional $20 for this answer, so the total will be $50.
Hello again, and you're most welcome!

Thanks for your reply re: the additional scenes you need to know about and the times they take place. I will be happy to get this information to you, but in order to do that, I will need to watch the rest of the movie. We are in different time zones, and I am just about to sign off for the night. I will get back to you later on Thursday, after I'm able to watch the whole film, and send you the additional answers.

Thanks for your offer to add an additional $20 to your question, and also thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Cher
Thank you so much Cher, I'm looking forward to your reply.
You're most welcome!

I'll be back in touch with you tomorrow (well, today!) : )

Cher
Hi again,

I have the rest of the scenes you requested.

Scene when heist falls through takes place at 58:44 in the movie. Charlie, dressed as a chauffeur and in disguise (wearing beard) is robbing the store. he got in when the manager opens the safe to place the cash, nick, as the old man, gives him for a purchase. charlie leaves with the jewels and cash in a bag, and nick comes in. handcuffs the manager to the chair and gags him. nick tries to leave, but the front door of the store won't open even with the manager's keys. manager explains that once the safe door is open too long, it automatically signals the police. the police arrive and call nick on the phone in the store. nick calls his lawyer and asks if he should take the manager out with him as a hostage. lawyer advises that this is a bad idea and will only get him more jail time. if he surrenders it will be better.

Nick takes off his mask in the store at 101:33 and surrenders to police at 102:24 (walks out front door). He is extradited to New York.

Nick is given a special 'New Year's Eve' parole(release) and gets out of jail at 105:08. He buys flowers and champagne and goes to his and Carolyn's (the antiques salesgirl) apartment. She calls to say she'll be running late and thinks she's speaking to 'Steve', her live-in boyfriend. Nick doesn't speak. He's very upset that she's with another man, when she said she's loves HIM. Steve comes home and Nick slips out the door.

Next scene--New Year's Eve party at a club. Nick meets a man named Frank (his lawyer?) at the bar and says there are two men trailing (following) him, hoping he will lead them to his partner, Charlie, who has the loot. He knows they let him out of jail for this purpose and his 'release' was 'fake'. Says to Frank, since we're talking, they're going to assume YOU are my partner, and that should throw them off my trail for a short while.

Nick calls another club/restaurant where there is a New Year's Eve party going on, and asks for charlie. says his name is 'Louis XVI' (that's the type of antique table from the beginning). They meet in a deserted area and charlie gives Nick his share of the money, which is 1.1 million, not 1.5. Says there were 'expenses', etc. They go to the airport. charlie tries to convince nick that carolyn still loves him but HAD to do what she did (see other men) while he was in jail, just as HE would have seen other women if the situation were reversed. charlie asks nick: what should I tell the girl? he says tell her nothing. Nick buys a ticket to Rio, Brazil. charlie says he will join him there.

next scene. carolyn is in bed, sleeping (steve is next to her). phone rings. nick calls her from airport. she's thrilled, and wants to see him. steve leaves (she reminds him he knew the whole situation and 'they' were temporary). nick arrives, she's happy, he's sad--thinking of her with steve. she says 'it was my way of waiting, to keep from dying; it was my way of staying alive'. he says 'I love you and nothing else matters'.

next scene, they're all on a plane to Rio celebrating New Year's Eve and nick is once again in disguise as the older woman, dancing in the aisle with carolyn who is dressed as a nurse. Charlie offers them more champagne and then is narrating--he says 'so we all went to Rio together; carolyn opened an antiques store; me? i'm in the export business--beef and wallets. nick tells me Harry Winston is going to open a place down here in May. Some people just never learn.'

THE END

Please let me know when you read this and if you have any other questions. The 24 hr. rental will be up in a couple of hours, so I won't be able to view any more specific scenes from the movie after that.

Regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Hello Cher, thank you so much - that's perfect. I sent you the $30 plus an additional $30 tip.
Again, thank you so much and have a great day!
J
Hello again J, and you are most welcome.

It was my pleasure to be of help to you, and your accept and most generous bonus are greatly appreciated!

Please feel free to request me by name for any future questions, by beginning your question with 'FOR CHER'.

Enjoy your day, also!

Best regards,
Cher Smile
Cher
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT