Entertainment

Have Entertainment Questions? Ask an Expert

Entertainment

If a casino has a blanket copyright license , is the performing

If a casino has a...
If a casino has a "blanket copyright license", is the performing band or vocalist that do music called "covers" protected when hired to perform in the casino?
10/2/2009
Hugh
Hugh, Composer, Producer and Performer
The type of license your are referring to is not a copyright license, but rather a license from a specific performing rights organization for the rights to have the songs performed in a given establishment. Performing rights organizations act as license clearing houses for composers that are members. They serve as "watchdogs" over the industry. The three performing rights organizations are BMI, ASCAP and SESAC, with BMI and ASCAP being the more popular PRO's.

So, for instance - If the casino has a blanket license with BMI, then all songs (or what you term "covers") in the BMI catalog are covered under that blanket license. The same goes for ASCAP and SESAC provided blanket licenses are put in place with those PRO's as well. Please note that each PRO is a separate entity. They have no affiliation with one another.

Your answer? Yes, the bands are covered provided the songs they perform fall under the umbrella of the specific license that is in tact with the casino.
Hugh
Hugh, Composer, Producer and Performer
Hugh
Hugh
Hugh, Composer, Producer and Performer