Entertainment

Have Entertainment Questions? Ask an Expert

Entertainment

My son is 21 and is interested in modeling. We live in a small

Customer Question
My son is 21 and...
My son is 21 and is interested in modeling. We live in a small town, about 4 hours from Minneapolis, and 6 hours from Chicago.   What is the best way to get discovered?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Entertainment
3/13/2009
Entertainment Expert: Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT replied 8 years ago
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT

Is he interested in modeling clothes, etc., and doing runway shows, or is he interested in print work, like modeling for an ad circular or catalog from a department store?

Thanks for any additional detail.

Cher
My son at this point doesn't know what he would be best at, and would be excited to do any type of modeling job. When I began researching modeling on the internet, there were many ways to go about it, and they were very confusing. One site suggested sending photos, pay money, and wait to see if they were interested (modelscout.com) Is this legitimate? Do you go to an agency? if so, which one is better than another? Do we spend the money and get professional photos? My son is 6'3', blond hair, blue eyes, weighs 190 with an muscular/athletic build.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

I would not recommend sending anyone money; there are too many of those types of agencies out there that are NOT legitimate. Your best course of action is to pay to have professional photos taken, so your son has a 'portfolio', and then try to find a local modeling agency in your area. If your town is small or there are no agencies in your city, find one closest to you, call up and find out what their procedure is. Tell them your son already has a professional photo portfolio and send them some of the pictures. Starting out with a local agency is often a good idea, and then from there, if, hopefully, he has some success and has the right 'look' (he does sound very handsome!), he'll move on to bigger agencies and bigger jobs.

You could also call some of the major nationwide department stores, like J.C. Penney, Sears, etc., and ask where they get their models, for their catalogs and print ads.

I hope things work out well, for you and your son, and he has a lucrative career as a model!

Cher
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Cher
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT