Entertainment

Have entertainment questions? Ask an Expert online

My son is 17 years old. He is a phenomenal guitarist. Hes…

Customer Question
My son is 17 years...
My son is 17 years old. He is a phenomenal guitarist. He's been playing since he was 12. He plays so well that if a musician or musician(s) are playing, after listening to the music for a minute or so, he is able to join in. He has had formal training, (lessons from age 12 -17). He has natural talent. He would like to be a studio, or house musician. How would he get started. He also plays in a band.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Entertainment
2/23/2009
Entertainment Expert: letslearnmore, freelance reviewer and movie nut replied 9 years ago
letslearnmore
letslearnmore, freelance reviewer and movie nut

Hello thereCustomer and congratulations to your 17 year old son! The world of music is tough, but as you know, very rewarding for those few who make it. It is obvious he has a great ear - good pitch, and the ability to "hear patterns in music." However, remember that these kinds of gifts are rare in the microcosm, but the expected in large studio or house positions (Los Angeles, New York, etc.).

There is a three pronged approach I'd recommend for your son in order to maximize the possibility of someone hearing him:

1) Study Study Study - one can never have enough instruction in a variety of styles. This is most critical for a house or studio musician, they rarely have time to practice a piece, and must sight-read so well that they can pick up a piece of music and simply "understand it." How does one get this ability - it is not innate - instead, have your son practice scales, arpeggios, and technical exercises in all keys - this way the kinesthetic memory will be ingrained so that there are no surprises. Second, try to pick up the basics of another instrument, whether it be keyboard, wind, or whatever - this makes one much more valuable if one can play (say in a pit orchestra), several instruments at least well enough to perform. Then, take lessons in as many genre's as possible: classical, jazz, rock/pop, etc. Study also means reading about music theory, the more one knows, the better. If possible, enroll in a good music program at a local university - take as much theory as possible! Also a great place to learn alternative instruments.

2) Networking/Connections - find as many gigs as possible in as many genres. It might be boring to play with an oldies or swing group, but the more styles, the better - and one never knows who will be in that audience. Think of it statistically, the more one plays (weddings, funerals, dances, etc.) the more one will be in a position to be recommended, etc. and the more chance of other people hearing your son. This is absolutely crucial. ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES IS TO FIND THE RIGHT TEACHER WHO WILL HELP SMOOTH THE WAY INTO THE INDUSTRY AND CAREER GOALS. Find the right person - even if you have to drive to a monthly lesson, etc.

3) Research - I am not sure what area you're in, but often when broadway or rock/pop groups come to town, there are opportunities for extras. The only way to find these is to local the local musician's union, join, and start asking. Personality is KEY - they already expect everyone to be a great musician, fantastic sight-reader, and amazing artist.

Here are some references that might help, and BEST OF LUCK!

Bobby Owsinski, The Studio Musician's Handbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Studio-Musicians-Handbook-Bobby-Owsinski/dp/1423463412/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235422431&sr=1-1

Angela Beeching, Beyond Talent: Creating a Successful Career in Music.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Talent-Creating-Successful-Career/dp/019516914X/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235421992&sr=8-1

Simon Cann, Building a Successfuyl 21st Centruy Music Career.

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Successful-Century-Music-Career/dp/1598633708/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235421992&sr=8-2

Bob Baker, Guerilla Music Marketing Handbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Music-Marketing-Handbook-Self-Promotion/dp/097148385X/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Tanja Crouch, 100 Careers in the Music Business.

http://www.amazon.com/Careers-Music-Business-Tanja-Crouch/dp/0764139142/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235422333&sr=8-1

letslearnmore