Engineering

Engineering Questions? Ask an Engineer for Answers ASAP

My son is building a Tesla Coil for a school project and…

Customer Question
My son is building a...
My son is building a Tesla Coil for a school project and something in the circuit is not operating correctly. We are using a 12v 1.5A adapter and the power appears to be correct to the primary coil, roughly 12v. The secondary coil however is showing very little and that comes off the breadboard, which I assume is where the problem is.Here is the layout: http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Tesla-Coil/If you Understand the Tesla Coil and the circuits needed to make it work, I'd appreciate some assistance in getting this thing working.
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Engineering
3/26/2018
Engineer: Russell H., Service Tech replied 27 days ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your breadboarded circuitry question.

From my experience with breadboarding of any circuitry, when any uncertainty is involved, one needs to power Off the whole thing, wait a bit for voltage to dissipate, say 10 minutes where a high-voltage coil like that is concerned... then, apply a voltmeter set to Ohms or to Resistance to checking all connections, basically.

Now, clips such as those can often have cold solder joints inside the colored rubber clip cover. Or the solder joint can crack. So I suggest first checking all clips for good conductivity!

And other wires leading to the secondary coil also... check them for good connections.

After that... tell me what the secondary coil is not showing much of... measured how... and I will advise you more specifically.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The primary coil show 12V, the secondary coil show .10V.All the connections are fine
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Any response? I needed this yesterday, which is why I paid extra for, "need answer now".
Engineer: Russell H., Service Tech replied 26 days ago

I'm sorry - I work late in the Eastern Time Zone, and get to work somewhat late on Mondays.

According to the schematic, one end of the secondary coil is left 'free', unattached. So it should only have a slight, inductively induced, voltage on it.

Is anything wrong with the way the circuit is behaving?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The secondary coil attaches to the breadboard on the bottom and the top of the metal "roof" at the top.I don't know how the circuit should behave,I just followed the instructions, built this, and hoped it would power a florescent bulb, which it doesn't.

I see. The metal 'roof' - what metal is it made of? and is the connection of the secondary coil an electrical-quality connection?

Russell H., Service Tech