Engineering

Engineering Questions? Ask an Engineer for Answers ASAP

I am building a wrought iron bending machine. My shop is…

Customer Question
I am building a wrought...
I am building a wrought iron bending machine. My shop is small and we do mostly "one off" projects. I want to be able to twist fencing pickets and mechanically bend scrolls out of mild steel stock up to 1"x1". I am looking at a motor with the torque capacity of 889 inch pounds. Is this strong enough to bend 1"x1" mild steel?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Engineering
1/3/2018
Engineer: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 7 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi Joan

I am Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

Yield strength, at room temperature, for mild steel is on the order of 40,000 pounds per square inch(PSI). Higher strength low alloy steels, or cold rolled steels have have much higher yield strengths; as much as 120,000 PSI

So, to bend your hypothetical 1"x1" square bar requires something on the order of 40,000 pounds of force.

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Morning

Just following up with you

Did my answer help you ??

If so Please remember to rate my answer 5-stars

so I get credit for the question