Engineering

Engineering Questions? Ask an Engineer for Answers ASAP

Rock socket design encompasses a check for the maximum

Customer Question
bending moment?...
rock socket design encompasses a check for the maximum bending moment?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Engineering
11/7/2017
Engineer: StructuralEng, Bachelor's Degree replied 7 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Bachelor's Degree
Hello. What exactly is your question?
Doing a rock socket design for drilled shaft. I utilized FEA model with PY curve analysis. It gave me a fixed condition at the tip and also allowed me to adjust the section stiffness to my desired deflection at the top. Is there a mean or method of checking the maximum bending moment in the socket with respect to the diameter and the length of the socket? That is why i am asking is there a simplified method of designing a rock socket. If i can find that methodology then maybe i can see how to do the correct checks.
This is generally done with a program like L-Pile. You will input the loading and the soil strata and properties as well as the head condition (fixed or free) and the program will provide deflection, shear, and moment curves
Understood and i have done so, but how would i know if the depth of the rock socket is sufficient for bending or shear (Lateral)?
You can't tell that from L-Pile. That is where the hand calculations come in