Engineering

Engineering Questions? Ask an Engineer for Answers ASAP

Second opinion] I am trying to make a push/pull lever that…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I am trying...
Second opinion] I am trying to make a push/pull lever that actuates a rotary lever and I can't figure out what kind of linkage I need to make it work.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Engineering
Answered in 6 days by:
9/27/2017
Engineer: green-owl, Electrical Engineer replied 7 months ago
green-owl
green-owl, Electrical Engineer

Hi. I am not sure of what you want to do so correct me if i am wrong. You want to have both lever follow each other movement with a mechanical linking? Any special distance between the two or other limitation?

Thanks for your reply Martin. I actually worked it out pretty simply by making a slot in each rotary lever arm and attaching a pushrod that allows my straight in and out push/pull lever to operate it without concern for the rotation. In case you're wondering what in the world I'm doing; I'm taking an off the shelf flight sim throttle quadrant and making it work like the TPM controls in a small airplane.

Glad you got it to work. A rod was what i had in mind (as many kind of lever have a bike break wire like mechanism not allowing easy two direction movement unless a spring is used) hence the question about the distance.

In case you want to hide the apparatus, it might be possible to hook it at the opposite of the pivot point. By changing the position of the attachement you can also change the resolution to match on both lever, so that min to max on a level is also reaching the min and max on the other lever. That said, a little bit of non linearity might show in the movement (a constant movement speed at one lever may give a varying speed at the other lever.

green-owl
green-owl
green-owl, Electrical Engineer