Engineering

Engineering Questions? Ask an Engineer for Answers ASAP

Engineering

I'm very concerned about the 100+ year old building I live…

Customer Question
I'm very concerned about the...
I'm very concerned about the 100+ year old building I live in and the fairly steady stream of heavy bass music coming from the cars below. This occurs for about 5 hours a night, up to 3 nights per week. The entire building seems to vibrate when the cars pass below. It cannot be ok for the structural integrity of the building. Are there any studies to back up my concerns, or could you at least express your professional thoughts on this?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2017
Engineer: StructuralEng, Bachelor's Degree replied 6 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Bachelor's Degree
Help
Hello
I am not able to see your reply
Vibrations may or may not be a problem structurally for the building. Many buildings have vibrations induced into them through equipment such as centrifuges.
With that said, it's much more likely to be a problem for a 100-year-old structure. Additionally the type of vibration and consideration of it during construction is a big factor. I do agree that this is not good for the structure
walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree