Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.
6825259

This may not be in your field of expertise;however this is

Customer Question

HI,This may not be in your field of expertise;however this is my question: I work on the eight floor of a building that has elevators that make a low volume but VERY high-pitch sound every time anyone enters and exits the elevator. I take it that is an infrared sensor to prevent the doors from closing while people are still entering or leaving the elevator (but that is just my guess).Regardless, do you know the reason for the high-pitch sound (most people cannot even hear the sound and/or do not notice it). For me, it is enough to make me take the stairs every day because I am very sensitive to very high-pitch noises as they mimic the sounds I have had with tinnitus in my ears/head, and the sound can sometimes trigger that high-pitch noise n my head after I hear it. However, I have been ill lately and forced to take the elevators. So if you have any knowledge of the reason for the sound and if it can be turned off by service,I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Wayne replied 3 months ago.

HI I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

The sound comes from the door operator. When the door opens, the door operator & the door arm interact, thus making a high pitch noise

Usually, door opening are near-silent. However, improper maintenance can cause such thing to happen. It is nothing to worry about unless someone has been moving stuff in and out of the building and slamming intentionally/unintentionally into the doors - causing the doors to run out of alignment

I hope this helps you

Hi If this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

That is the only way I get credit for the question

Or the money you paid stays at JA and I get nothing for my time

If you need more info use the INFO button

Not the Poor/Bad service

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me contact service and get their reply. I think it is meant to occur since it occurs not upon door opening and closing but people crossing into and out of elevator, and not a fault, but great if could fix. Any additional comments on preceding prior to may contacting service? Thanks.
Expert:  Wayne replied 3 months ago.

Morning

No that is all I had

Hi If this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

Not the Poor/Bad service

Expert:  Wayne replied 3 months ago.

HI

Just following up with you

did my answer help you

Please remember to rate my answer

or the money you paid stays at JA

and I work for free