walkereng
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Over 30 years of comprehensive experience
61772417

I need help with a project way beyond my ability. I am

Customer Question

I need help with a project way beyond my ability. I am designing a small table that has a leg that lays flat under the top but folds down when in use. When the leg is down it needs to be rigid and position ally fixed so it does not wobble or move. I am trying to design a bracket that will hold the leg and allow it to rotate down when needed. In the open position the leg should be tilting back 5 degrees to increase support. The issue is what kind of material should be used for the bracket? What I want to achieve is that when the leg folds down all of the way 95 degrees it needs to be held in place so that it will not rotate back from it's fully opened position. It needs to be easily locked down with out a lot of force but still stay locked down until it is forcefully rotated back to the folded up or closed position.
JA: OK. Got it. You've come to the right place. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: What I am thinking about is a plastic bracket that is similar to the handle of a dust tray where the brush handle is stored by pushing into the handle. The handle opening is flexible enough that it does not take a lot of force to push the brush handle into the dust tray handle but it holds it firmly and will not release until it is pulled out.
Category: Engineering
Expert:  green-owl replied 11 months ago.

Hi. There is a hundred way to do this but the project currently lack specifications.

The table will have 5 legs in total?

What is the table material?

Top tickness

weight capacity

What about the easyness of reaching that middle leg

What about the clearance you want to get around it when vertical and when folded.