Engineering

Engineering Questions? Ask an Engineer for Answers ASAP

Engineering

Two car engines, one naturally aspirated, the other

Customer Question
turbocharged. Car is at...
Two car engines, one naturally aspirated, the other turbocharged. Car is at 5,000 ft. Naturally aspirated engines, as I understand it, lose 3% of their power with each 1,000 ft. of altitude. So the naturally aspirated engine will lose 15% of its power when at 5,000 ft. The car I'm thinking of buying comes with either a 420hp normally aspirated V-8 or a 365hp twin-turbo V-6. At 5,000 feet, am I right in thinking that the V-8 will deliver 357hp, whereas the turbo V-6 will deliver 365hp? If so, and I live in Denver, the more powerful engine is actually the less powerful choice. Could you tell me if I'm wrong? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Engineering
10/29/2016
Engineer: Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech. replied 1 year ago
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.

Are these fuel injected engines or carberated?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
These are both fuel injected engines. Thanks for checking.

The turbo engine will loose less hp then the naturally aspirated engine will. The turbos will compress air and force it into the engine. Higher elevations will have thinner air. There for you do not get as much air into the engine. With today's fuel injected engines, air and fuel are mixed much more effectively then the older carb engines where. Therefor you will only loose around 9%. But the turbo engine will still loose less due to the compressed air. The more air and fuel you can get into an engine the more hp you create.

In higher alttitudes the same jar of air will have less molicules then the same jar at sea level. A turbo will create about the same amount of air at any altitude just because the air is compressed.

Kalamykid
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.