Engineering

Engineering Questions? Ask an Engineer for Answers ASAP

Engineering

Not sure how to ask a question usefully, but here goes. I have

Customer Question
a harpsichord, essentially a triangular...
Not sure how to ask a question usefully, but here goes. I have a harpsichord, essentially a triangular slab (I'm assuming a general answer, though I could provide specifics) for which I've turned 3 tapered legs, each set in some distance from a corner, and attached securely with 4 screws. But the instrument wobbles extremely easily: if you push it on a side with one finger it's easy to move it maybe an inch. So I'd like it to be "stable" instead of wobbly.
My question: By what factor do I need to scale the present legs to make it "stable?"
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Engineering
4/5/2016
Engineer: StructuralEng, Bachelor's Degree replied 1 year ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Bachelor's Degree
Hello
Can you post a picture for me to look at?
Thank you for the picture. The size where the legs connect to the harpsichord is most important.
Widen the size at the top.
The shape also makes it inherently unstable
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would guess that the shape would be stable if the whole thickness were scaled up by 10. But my question was just that--given that a leg's length doesn't change, how much would I have to scale up the thickness?
It's less a matter of scaling up the legs. It's about the connection between the leg and the rotational stiffness attributed to it.
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Bachelor's Degree