Engineering

Engineering Questions? Ask an Engineer for Answers ASAP

I want to put a over the range microwave in but all there is…

Customer Question
I want to put a...
I want to put a over the range microwave in but all there is a fake wall behind it no studs can it be done, there is a range hood there now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Engineering
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/29/2016
Engineer: walkereng, Bachelor's Degree replied 2 years ago
walkereng
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

The Chat Window has a button on it that allows you to attach files.

The range hood is still in place and this is a home we are going to move into but I could get you some pictures tomorrow. What is behind the now range hood is just of wood for decorative purpose that is covering the back of the top cabinets.... that face out into the dining room
The home was built in 1966 if that helps at all. We have not bought the microwave we have just picked it out.

There is usually a mounting bracket that comes with the microwave and this mounting bracket needs to be mounted to wood studs in the wall. An over the range microwave is too heavy to be just mounted to drywall with toggle bolts.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions

Engineer: latsu12,
 replied 2 years ago
latsu12

Hi my name is ***** ***** I thought this was a really interesting question that I may be of some assistance to you.

I guess my first question is, If there is a microwave currently in place, how was it installed? Did it look/feel secure when you went through the house? You may not know yet because you aren't living there, but previous owners have most likely devised a way for the installation of a microwave. If not, then you will need to figure out some sort of wood blocking in the back.

However, I'm not sure what you mean by a "fake wall" There is a wall there, but how is it fake? Whatever wall is currently there is being held up by something, and more than likely it's being held up by studs.

You may already have this issue handled, but if not, please tell me a little bit about this wall: Are there also wall cabinets hung to the left or right of the range? Is it a shortened wall where it's open at the top? Does it wobble or move?

There cabinets on both sides of the opening the opening is 36 inches across. There is an opening in to the family room just below the cabints abd the opening where the range hood is currently. The fake wall is material a wood base that covers the back of the cabinets and the spot where the range opening. It can't be more than 1/4 inch thick. Nothing is supporting it from the flooring
Engineer: latsu12,
 replied 2 years ago

Other than the 1/4" backing material, is there anything supporting the microwave from the side (Look inside the cabinets to the L and R) or the top?

Typically an over-the-range-microwave is 30" wide, and you've got 36", so am curious as to how the previous owners used the 3 extra inches on either side to support the microwave, possibly(?). There might be clues behind the microwave's trim kit.

So I get back to one of my original questions, which was,

1) How did the previous owners attach the microwave that's currently there, and

2) did it feel secure?

3) Is there currently a wall cabinet ABOVE the microwave?

4) Is the weight of the wall and cabinetry being carried by a vertical support at the end of the run of cabinets?

5) If you will tell me which microwave you have picked out (brand name and model #), I can tell you how the manufacturer will want it installed.

Please reply to these ques, and I will give my best answer to your dilemma.

There is not a micro currently in place there is a range hood now.....No verical support the cabinets on one is free standing. The cabints on the other side is attached to the wall. There is a small set of cabinet attached to the celianing.
Engineer: latsu12,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok, well, typically over the range microwaves are attached to the back wall using brackets that hold the microwave. It is recommended that. "THE MICROWAVE MUST BE CONNECTED TO

AT LEAST ONE WALL STUD." See pages 5 and 6 from this link:

https://content.abt.com/documents/60736/FFMV164SS_install.pdf

A 1/4-inch wood panel in the back that you have now is, I'm afraid, not substantial enough to hold the microwave without it being a danger from falling or from the constant opening and shutting of the door which inevitably can be a bit rough at times.

I would think that if you could increase the thickness of the 1/4-inch panel to 1/2-inch or greater that it would be a safer installation, but not being able to see this panel and how it's supported within the existing wall, I will not be able to guarantee this will be a safe application either. Over the range microwaves are heavy and the wall studs are what holds it up within the brackets. The screws holding the brackets in place are going to show on the opposite side of the wall, which is probably unacceptable visually. So, I'm just not seeing that this option will work for your house.

Here's what I think your options will be:

1. Use a countertop microwave instead, or

2. Purchase a smaller countertop model and mount it under your wall cabinets, using an under cabinet mounting kit. Countertop models are usually not as deep (the measurement from front to back).

Here is a video showing the dismantling of a countertop microwave from the wall cabinets and the mounting of another. You can see the hardware used, as well as what I'm suggesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjlVtRy2E0E

Here is a page of information related to #2: https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=mounting+hardware+for+under+wall+cabinet+microwave&oq=mounting+hardware+

for+under+wall+cabinet+microwave&gs_l=hp.3...2993.36600.0.37100.61.45.5.11.11.0.654.7989

.1j22j13j3j0j1.40.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..5.46.5544.0.gVvpuOE2Cds

I think #2 is a great option and microwaves from GE, Haier (found at Lowes), among others, make smaller, compact size microwaves.

Most microwaves need a dedicated circuit for electrical pull, so be aware of this too.

I'm not sure that I gave you the answer you wanted to hear but I don't think there is any way to get around the wall and it's 1/4-inch paneling without you beefing up the wall quite a bit, which is possible but that's another subject.

Thank you for the opportunity to offer you assistance with your question!

Susan

If you feel I addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

By providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue. There is no additional charge for follow-ups.

Engineer: latsu12,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi there, some time has gone by and I wanted to see if you had any questions? or,

By providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue. There is no additional charge for follow-ups. Thank you.