Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have an constant upper middle abdominal pain for one week.

Customer Question
The pain is never severe...
I have an constant upper middle abdominal pain for one week. The pain is never severe and not like typical abdominal cramps. It's moderate and really annoying almost like burning. The pain really affects my sleep and sleeping on the side is worst than on my back.For the last two months I've been having frequent diarrhea and occasionally stomach pain and heartburn. Doctor only found h pylori, was given amoxicilin, metronidazole and clarithromycin and a PPI. After 5 days on amoxicilin I developed severe diarrhea but it resolved. My stool has developed a completely different weird smell since then even though I have no diarrhea it's always stringy and small.6 days after finished antibiotics I developed this constant pain in my upper abdomen. I had an upper endoscopy that showed esophagitis and antral gastritis and was prescriped PPI for this. I redid my stool tests and now I have an abnormal calprotectin 80.88 ug/g (it was normal one month ago) and "relatively frequent undigested starch in stool" (it was "rare" one month ago).PPis don't help with the pain and eating or not eating doesn't change the pain at all so I don't know if it's stomach related. My stool is no longer normal and my calprotectin is elevated.What can this be? The pain is really distressing. Doctor said I might need a CT scan but I'm afraid of the radiation risks but will do it as the pain is affecting my life completely.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
2/6/2018
Endocrinologist: DocPhilMD, Internist replied 5 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Internist

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Do you still need help?

Any help is appreciated.

It sounds like you have developed SIBO from the antibiotics

have you heard of this?

No

This is when the normal gut bacteria get disrupted

have you heard of the FODMAP diet?

No. The pain is quite bad and constant. Can it be something else? The pain is above my bellybutton so can it be small bowel related?

Yes, that would be the exact location.

Can't it be the colon or the stomach? What can I do?

Yes, it can be.

your stomach was checked though

checking the colon would be a good idea

the gastritis doesn't explain the constant pain?

No I don't think so

Besides SIBO what else can it be?

gastritis

colitis

inflammatory bowel disease

iBS

The pain is burning and I can't stand it. Should I go to the ER and try to get some relief? I can't take this non stop pain. It's worst with moving to the sides in bed.

Yes, absolutely

if it is that bad then go to ER

is this helpful?

I wish there was more I could do