Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I sometimes monitor my blood sugar as I have had times where…

I sometimes monitor my blood...
I sometimes monitor my blood sugar as I have had times where it was low. I have not been diagnosed with a problem and my last A1c was normal, which was done I believe in May . The other night I checked it after eating a high carb meal 2 hours after eating and it was 195, but then 15 minutes later I check it again and it was 135. Would it drop to 135 within 15 minutes or do you think I had an inaccurate reading? The next morning my fasting sugar was 97.
1/9/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation however none of the readings that you have mentioned are considered as being low glucose. Low glucose is a level of below 60 and infact a fasting level of 97 is excellent.
Now coming to your question, it is possible for the glucose to drop from 195 to 135 mg/dl within 15 mins in some cases. However usually the drop is usually more gradual and i think it is more likely that this reading was an inaccurate one.
If your glucose falls repeatedly to a level below 60 then it is more likely to be an underlying disorder like insulinoma in which there is a benign tumor which produces an excess amount of insulin. But without a drop in glucose to below 60 it is unlikely to be the cause.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.
I do understand that my readings aren't low. I was just saying that I have had my blood sugar go low after eating lots of carbs. For example one time after eating carbs it went down to 55. another time it was 80. Even though 80 is normal I was surprised it would be this number after eating high carbs. I think I may have a little reactive Hypoglycemia. Thus I started monitoring. Anyway this particular night it went to 195. I did eat a lot of carbs though.
say 195 was accurate. Would it always go this high consistently if I were a diabetic? or can it just rise some time. The night after I took my blood sugar and it was fine.
If your glucose went above 200 atleast 2 hours after eating a meal then we would consider you being a diabetic. Regarding reactive hypoglycemia, yes it is possible if you consistently have a drop of glucose to below 60 after eating a large amount of carbs. The normal response to high carbs is release of a large amount of insulin which could explain the drop in glucose. It is possible that your body's response is slightly more aggressive than normal which would explain the drop in glucose but as long as it is above 60 we won't label it as reactive hypoglycemia.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today
if 195 was accurate, would that be almost diabetic or can it do this in a normal person as a fluke. In otherwards, what if it only did this one time?
It is possible in eveb normal people and that is why we keep a level of 200 and above as the diabetic range. A level of 195 can occur occasionally in normal patients as well.
Do you have anymore questions?
nope. Thanks for answering. I know with my strong family history of diabetes I need to watch carbs but so hard as I love sweets.
If you have family history then you should get a hba1c done every year atleast and you are welcome. Do remember to leave a positive rating thanks.
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist