Endocrinology

Ask an Endocrinologist. Get Answers to Endocrinology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Endocrinology

Dr Phil / Dr Phil / Dr Phil Jose' spouse has always had high…

Dr Phil / Dr Phil...
Dr Phil / Dr Phil / Dr Phil Jose' spouse has always had high triglycerides in lab reports - this one reads 293 but its down from the last one that was over 400 I think (he was drinking then , stupid ) - one doctor told him he has some condition that will always cause this condition of fatty liver/ high triglycerides - he can't remember the name of course. Will statin drugs lower triglycerides ? His cholesterol total as of Nov 2017 is 180. Now his p/a primary doctor also prescribed atorvastatin 40 mgs. Does that act on triglycerides ? I thought that Metformin was the drug that would improve functions and lower triglycerides. Also now the H1c is 6.6 It reads that normal is 4.8 to 5.6 on the lab report . Else where I read that under 7.0 is ok but ? apparently not . According to this. Jose' stopped taking Metformin on his own but I think he should take this one. If you saw the suitcase full of drugs that have been prescribed to both of us , you would be amazed. I wonder if I had taken all of those drugs if I would even be alive now. This is really a drug drenched society here. Another real issue that Jose' has been experiencing throughout all of this - his throat is sore, bothers him, always clearing it - thinks he should take cold's medication, but he had a culture done and it was negative. Still, he is always complaining that something is wrong with his throat. Somehow this is related to it all . I know I am all over the map with this , trying to make some definitive insights to his condition .
1/8/2018
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Internist

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Gina, did you need help here too?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
interpreting the lab reports , this is different from the question about M Disease, if he has that, and that medication. Now the Nov lab reports have just gotten to me. Here, it takes weeks to get labs done, returned, then an appointment with the primary m d to interpret to the patient. From Nov Labs, he just got them now. I have questions about the triglycerides high results and being given Atorvastatin 40 mgs when the cholesterol is down to 180. Statins work on both ? I know the question here is sort of rambling but please take a look at it again - I question being given statins for triglycerides . I also question the 6.6 H1c now as indicating diabetes. The lab report is 4.8 to 5.6 as normal . So, yes I need help to understand the labs really. Like - what is BUN/Creatinine Ratio - reading 8 / Says LOW says normal is 9 to 20. Also Glucose / Serum is 104/ HIGH , says 65 - 99 is normal. I do not understand what these readings are.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
fyi older dogs need ocuvite and glucosamin as I am sure you know too - we use both as well . Sparingly. Oh and Jose' was given prednisone. I use that for our little dogs, sparingly, for allergy conditions.

A low BUN/Cr is not concerning

that is normal

the sugar is high

we know that because of the A1c

nothing worrisome here

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Internist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Again you confirmed my thoughts here - I got him some natural product that is supposed to lower the glucose levels , supposed to have been used for centuries, forget the name - makes me think of beriberi but of course its not. Will check and let you know. This is fascinating , all of medical science, I think I missed my calling - I longed to be a photographer around the world, an anthropologist, a medical doctor, a psychiatrist, all my life.

Never too late!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah, at 80 its too late. Just got out of hospital, hemoglobin dropped to 6. now up to 9. and then I need fake knees put in both knees, asap, looking at March. In Feb I am going on a cruise MSC with the vegan group for 10 days, special 'gourmet' meals, seminars, classes, cooking classes, and Dr N Bernard will be one of the presenters. I also booked spouse Jose' and our son Jose' francisco and his darling wife on the cruise. I am going to let Them take the cooking classes etc, I expect to be found in the spa and Roman baths, hummmmmm

sounds wonderful!

I agree...too late at 80

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I love being 80, don't have to give a rat's rump for anything, and I had excellent plastic surgeons in Costa Rica, dynamite face life and excess fat / skin removals - I love how I look - don't have to give a rat's A** about that either. Its not so fun being bright and smart and trapped inside an 80 year old body but I manage. Will have fake knees put in both ( bone on bone conditions ) already had catarach surgery with corrective lens put in so now I have bionic vision, 20 - 20 and 20 - 19.9999999 Yeah, life can be wonderful and now I have live in sons/ slaves to make things go in addition to the helpX ers and work way ers. Those are the most interesting to me - had a couple girls from Communist China, one a city girl with family in their government, and the other a country girl - so different. Also hosted a Chinese retired English professor for a month - loved him and we did talk politics. He read my Eat to Live books and copied some then bought his own. Of course I told him about you, but in my version of the story you were my brilliant high school bow. And now my friend.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THE natural product is berberine that I ordered for Jose' - but he continues to sneak alcohol.

Oh I didn't know Jose snuck alcohol. Is he a recovering alcoholic?

Yes, Gina you are my friend! I enjoy talking to you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jose is 40 % native american and 60 % haplo group, what ever that is ? like Neanderthal I think. He is shit* faced , staggering , red - eyed, drunk with one drink. I can drink him under the table and back up again and function. With white booze only, not my fav scotch. Jose' at one time was drinking a lot until I hit him on the head with an iron skillet, put him out in the middle of the night with all the kids up and screaming at him and called the police to report a drunk driver on our highways. Jose' fooled me and drove another way to my daughters and parked in the yard to sleep it off. I wanted him in jail and the kids told him what I did. He almost stopped for most of the time - once in a while he sneaks something - hilarious because its immediately verifiable in him. Now that I have been on the war path he has been sneaking booze again. Its ok, I have over 600 K insurance on him. Jose' is an alcoholic. Alcoholics never recover, they just drink - or not. He'd be dead if I were not his wife. I think. He never loses time from work due to hooch and he doesn't come home drunk - knows what I will do . Once in a while he tries to hide it but by now he knows that is impossible. I used to have fun with him. He was good company . I am going to buy a huge vodka and put it on the kitchen counter to taunt him. I used to have the kids search the house for bottles. Some pure fun. Ask me if I care. Thank you, ***** ***** me, you have been pivotal in my life changes for the better. What have you heard of berberine ? anything ? Jose' continues vegan . So do I for 99.99 % of life.

I had never heard of it but I researched it and it seems to be pretty effective at reducing blood sugar and promoting fat loss with very few side effects

It seems pretty safe but you never know with these things

I'm surprised it isn't more popular quite frankly

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Internist