Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had been diagnosed with thrush, and sent you a picture, by…

Customer Question
I had been diagnosed with...
I had been diagnosed with thrush, and sent you a picture, by the next day the white spots were completely gone and I was just tired and itchy, I took 2 days of diflucan and nystatin. I stopped last night. I was having increased PVC"s from the medication, and have had that before. This am the thrush appress still gone, but I am having a lot of burping, like overtime I drink and some pain in the area between the breasts and lower. I have never had this happened, till last week when I felt like a pill or something was stuck there and then had pain for two days after and burping and reflux. Then it. got better not totally gone on diflucan, but better, not seems worse again. If I did hurt my esophagus with pills or food, how long could it be inflamed, and you said thrush likes to life on inflamed areas. I alas has been using a steriod bases inhaler of over 2 weeks prior to this, and did not know I was supposed to rinse my month and I have dentures, due to sjogrens and the lack of saliva. I know dentures and lack of saliva worsen thrush. If I irritated my esophagus how long would it take to calm down?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
I just read on multiple site that thrush in the esphogas is treated for 2-3 weeks with diflucan, is two days not enough?
1/7/2018
Endocrinologist: DocPhilMD, Internist replied 7 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Internist

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Yes, you need a much longer course of diflucan

usually 2 weeks

200 mg per day of two weeks

1. Would they have to do an endoscopy to know that, or is the presentation in the back of my throat a good indication that it traveled down my esophagus?2. would some thing stuck in lower esophagus like meds or food due to severe sjogrens cause inflammation or irratation that last longer than a few days?3.Can difucan worsen PVC?4. Can you see the picture I attached, one day after difucan all the white was gone, would you think that thrush had traveled down?5. the urgent care doc mentioned I might need endoscopy for a hiatal hernia check, does a sudden onset like this sound lek that. I have dentures, been on steroid inhalers for 2.4 weeks, and have sjogrens, so no saliva, so thrush is increased in the cases.

1)that is enough of an indication. If it doesn't resolve then you need a scope

2)yes it can

3)yes it can

4)yes it looks as if it has

5)Only if the med doesn't work. then you need a scope

helpful?

1.so if dilfucan makes me have triplets, which I know, because my cardio doctor has told me what they are, and I know when I have them, then it is normal, my PVC's can get very bad.2.Why do you think it appears to have gone down the throats, could it also be just in the back of throat and mouth?3. when the pills/food got stuck it hurt very bad and that was 5 days ago, how long could an irrational/inflamaiton last?

1)yes that is common with diflucan.

2)you are having symptoms in the throat

3)that could last 1-2 days. There is something else causing it like the candida

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

also one last thing, if it were oral thrush from the inhaler, and all the white on the top of mouth and back of throat went away and I stayed off difucan for a few days and it did not come back, would that mean more likely it had not traveled down?

yes

you say yes if it does not come back to the throats or mouth, if I don't take more than 2 days difucan, and it it completely gone now, likens white spots left, then it was likely not down the esaphagas?
sorry about my spelling

that is correct

1.ok, then from looking at the picture and taking two days of diflucan and having it completely gone, if it does not come back there you would say likely not in the esophagus?2.Also how long could an irritation/infammation of the esophagus last?

1)only if the symptoms resolve too

2)1-2 days if just from irritation. longer if infection

1.only above you said an irritaion or inflamation could last longer than fews days but now your saying only if it is candida, it would last longer?2. so you are saying even if the thrush does not come back off the difucan to the mouth, it can still be in eshopagas? I attached the pictures, the ones from Friday, and then the one Saturday evening, so after 1.5 diflucan. Would it clear up this fast if it were down the esophagus?
in the pictures I took for my doctor, the thrush does not appear to be on the esophagus beginning, but on the throat and upper mouth, which is another pic.

I think I am confused by the wording of your questions. Let me put it this way.

If it were just irritation, it would last 1-2 days. Longer if infection.

I would advise that you take a longer course of diflucan and if that doesn't resolve it, you need a scope.

did you look at the two pics I sent?

Yes, but the fact that the throat cleared up doesn't mean much if you still have symptoms

you mean reflux? would you expect the throat and mouth to clear up that fast??is you saw me in urgent care and looked at my throat and mouth would you think it had gone down the esaphagos?
sorry, if it did not come back off difucan in the mouth is that not a good indication since that was so bad. I had been on a steroid inhaler which they though caused it, would that cause it to go into the esaphogas?

Yes, I would think it had gone done into the esophagus

Yes, it can do that

Right now, I suspect you have fungal esophagitis

ok, can I ask why you would think it traveled?The urgent care doctor said it could or could not have traveled and to take three days and if symtpoms don't resolve do endoscopy to see if it entered the esophagus.He said you can get thrush from dentures and steroid inhalers, and that my main symptom was the sore throat.yes I have gotten a pill stuck on my throats 5 days ago and he said that may have exacturbated symptoms.

because the clinical picture fits. You all of a sudden develop throat issues at the same time you have thrush? That doesn't take Dr. House to figure out!! Too coincidental

I think the pill got stuck because of the fungal esophagitis

not the other way around

Ok, I did not have any thrush when the pill got stuck. I have sjogrens, which cause extreme dryness, so I have pills get stuck ALOT, I make almost zero saliva from aggressive ajogrens. Getting things stuck is normal. Getting thrush like this has never happened. I have been on steroid inhalers, have no to little saliva, and have dentures all factors which cause thrush.Just because I developed oral thrush does not mean it traveled, that is why I asked why you think so. I have had things get stuck many times, and that happened days before any thing was wrong with my throat, which I had checked because I had had a sore throat and two days prior to the thrush, I had nothing there.I am not getting a clear answer, and for some reason that seems to happen with you. I asked why you think it traveled down, based in the fact that I felt something was stuck days before, because something was, a pill I swallowed and it happens frequently and I don't have thrush?

Mollie, with all due respect you are confusing me with your questions. You seem to be searching for a particular answer and changing the phrasing of your questions in order to achieve a desired response. I have been very clear that I think that this is fungal esophagitis and the plan that I suggested in order to treat it. VERY clear.

The pill could have gotten stuck just because but that could have been the start of the esophagitis as well. We don't know.

That is what I suggest you do. If you want another opinion, I would be happy to opt out for another expert.

the expert I spoke to yesterday, did not think it had to be going down the esophagus, nor did the urgent care doctor. Jumping to it has to be that, seems too much, considering that the meds are causing me triplets and bignemy of PVC's ,so 3 weeks unneeded could be ver aggressive.Yes please opt out. I would like another expert to looks at the pics and see if they think it would be likely it traveled and if it cleared up that fast should I wait and see if it does back. Like I said items getting stuck in my throats is not unusual and very very common in sjogrens, so to base it off that is not reliable.

Not a problem. I'm happy to opt out. It will be up to another expert to pick up the question though. I can't make them so you might have to wait a bit.

Is that ok?