Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

If the bile continues to flow into the intestine even if you…

if the bile continues to...
if the bile continues to flow into the intestine even if you get your gallbladder removed, why do people who get their gallbladder removed have to be careful with how much fat they eat?
1/7/2018
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Internist

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

This is because if one doesn't produce enough bile to absorb a lot of fat

so if you eat a high fat meal then you can absorb some of it but not a lot

make sense?

but don't you produce the same amount of bile with or without the gallbladder?

Yes, but it constantly leaks into the intestine without a gall bladder

the gall bladder stores a bulk of it then releases it with a fatty meal

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service with all customers

If you have more questions, just reply. :)

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Internist