Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a female with Primary Ovarian Failure for which I take a…

Customer Question
I'm a female with Primary...
I'm a female with Primary Ovarian Failure for which I take a low dose of estrogen and progesterone for. I was diagnosed with POF at 15 because I never menstruated. I have a number of other health issues too including mild diabetes, which I don't require insulin for. Recently my free testosterone came back elevated. It is 8.4. In the past it was always low. Do you have any ideas as to what may have changed? Is this high enough to affect me?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
1/5/2018
Endocrinologist: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Hello, and thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Thank you.

Thank you for your patience.

the levels of testosterone and estrogen is usually inversely co-related in females. If estrogen levels are low, testosterone levels rise and if estrogen levels are high, testosterone levels are low.

Since you are in primary ovarian failure (POF), your natural estrogen levels are already low. Supplements are helping to keep the levels normal.

Free testosterone is the testosterone available in the blood for immediate use. A rising free testosterone level means that your estrogen levels are low and that you possibly need the dosage of your supplement increased.

Please ask your doctor to order tests for estradiol levels in the blood.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Thank you. Is this level very high? High enough to cause symptoms? My total testosterone is 51 and Free is 8.4. I'm worried that my hair is thinning. I don't seem to have any other effects. My DHEA is 172, progesterone .1, and estradiol 43.7.

I am afraid that the level is high enough to cause thinning hair on the head in women. It may also cause hair growth in other areas such as the face and arms.

Your estradiol levels are normal but you do need to discuss with your doctor whether you should increase the dosage to counteract the high free testosterone.

Is the hair thinning reversible? I'm in a support group for women with POF and most of them have low testosterone, not high. That's how I was all these years up until this recent test. Not sure what changed.

Yes, the hair thinning is reversible. Once your testosterone level decreases, you should see the hair growing back. You may need to uses medicines like Minoxidil to stimulate the hair growth.

Can high testosterone in women cause fatigue? Also, is there anything natural I can do, while I'm waiting on my doctor to order more testing, to reduce it? Does exercise help for instance?

No, high testosterone usually does not cause fatigue.

And no, I am afraid that there is nothing you can do about it at home, although exercise and a good diet will help decrease your fatigue.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.