Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Is this normal with virus and bronchitis? Just caught this…

Customer Question
is this normal with virus...
is this normal with virus and bronchitis? Just caught this virus 7 days ago went straight to my chest, and started on 2 inhalers. Have a lot of mucous drainage, headache and today and yesterday extreme fatigue, like where I was just completely exhausted, and woozy. It is normal to have fatigue like this, and 6 days into flu virus?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
12/23/2017
Endocrinologist: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Yes, a severe viral attack can go straight to the chest and cause mucous drainage, and other general symptoms like headache, fatigue etc.

Sometimes, the viral attack may start mild but can increase in severity gradually, especially if your immunity is low due to any reason like stress or vitamin deficiency.

Sometimes, there may be a secondary bacterial infection on the initial viral infection, causing bronchitis with mucous and other general symptoms. If it is bacterial, you will need to take antibiotics.

Please consult your doctor for a checkup.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

could it be a normal way for the virus to follow? Like to have severe fatigue with a virus that attacks lungs, a chest cold or bronchitis? I read bronchitis cause severe fatigue?

Viral infections can be mild or severe. Mild infections can build up to severe and it may be normal to build up to a lung infection with bronchitis.

And yes, bronchitis can cause quite serious fatigue - that is because the infection and inflammation of the lungs is preventing you from getting enough oxygen .

how long would you expect a viral bronchitis to last?

Most viral bronchitis do not last for more than 7-10 days. Sometimes the cough and irritation can last longer.

if secondary bacterial infection occurs, the symptoms will increase , rather than decrease and will not clear up within 10 days.

If your symptoms last beyond 10 days or increases, please consult your doctor.

The clinic doctor told me some people have had this 3-4 weeks? so you think it should be 10 days or less?

NO, anything that lasts for more 10-14 days should be reassessed. Please do not wait for 3-4 weeks.

Would you like more information?

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.