Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

27 year old male, struggling with abdominal fat and lacking…

Customer Question
27 year old male, struggling...
27 year old male, struggling with abdominal fat and lacking progress doing regular strength training. Lab results via Quest: Testosterone Total, LC/MS/MS: 303 ng/dL, reference range(###) ###-####ng/dL. Testosterone Free, Dialysis: 48.5 pg/mL, reference range 35.0-155.0 pg/mL. The reference range doesn't seem to take into account age and the limited "what is the normal for 27 years old" seems to indicate I'm in the 5th percentile or lower. Would this be considered clinically deficient or is it a waste of time and the answer is going to be "it's in the range, go home"?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
12/19/2017
Endocrinologist: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 5 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

any other medical problems?

what time of day was the testosterone level drawn (morning/afternoon)?

what type of strength training program are you following?

No I don’t have any other medical problems or take any medications. Blood draw was at 1PM no fasting.I do whole body strength training with squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc usually for 4 sets of 6 reps or 5 sets of 5, rotatating muscle groups and doing 2 days on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off. I don’t do any metabolic or high intensity exercise since I’m trying to keep my weight from going down. Currently 155lbs at 5’ 9” with 13.5% body fat, with the majority of that fat around abdomin.

ok, so essentially following the StrongLifts 5x5 program except doing 2 on, 1 off for strength.

Would also add some cardio 2 days a week on the 2nd day of lifting (after lifting)

What does your diet look like?

Diet is probably about average. I work with a nutritionist and my priority is set at hitting 3000 calories per day more than I'm concerned about the macronutrition breakdown. Very little sugar intake is the only notable thing. I also take daily multivitamin to make sure that need is taken care of.

whats the breakdown of carbs/protein/fat that you are aiming for with the 3000 calorie diet?

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD