Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm on Androgel 4 pumps a day for about two years now...I…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm on Androgel...

Hi, I'm on Androgel 4 pumps a day for about two years now...I have constant bloating, morning nausea, sometimes I vomit. The bloating is getting in the way of my quality of life. I also sometimes have anxiety and know it is Androgel caused. I'm at a loss for what to do...I exercise, eat well, have had ultra sound of my abdomen and my lab values have been ok. I'm on Androgel as my T level were at 2 a few years ago and post R seminoma in 1989 with radiation. I'm a legit low T sufferer on Androgel but...Any suggestions?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

My mom died in 2015 ( summer) and I did experience anxiety during grieving ...I've been this way on and off for about 1.5 years..

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I also have polycythemia secondary to Androgel use..my hgb and hct are sometimes high and I get a phlebotomy..my calcium levels are also affected..other than that I'm more healthy than not..

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
Sorry, forgot to add that I'm a 54 year old male. I experienced significant weightloss after my mom died as a result of anxiety/grieving ( which took me by surprise!..I guess the realization that with both parents gone ( loved them a lot!) I had some adjustments to make. GI put me on Dexilant 30mg or 60mg (?) for 6 months but I had to stop during the last Rx bc of the increased bloating caused by the medication. I have persistent gas pain mid R abd, sometimes irradiating to lower R abdomen. Must confess I have tried cannabis on the bad days for the cramping/gassy pain and it really helps..
I am supplementing with Align ( 2 months now) and it seems to lessen the IBS like symptoms. Before I started Androgel I had noticed that I was loosing my body hair on my arms and abd, legs..I was tired and had aching joints. I've recovered my furriness, sex drive is ok, desire has weakened bc of the anxiety related to my abd discomfort. Now my body has reshaped and weight management no longer seems to be an issue.
Answered in 2 days by:
12/11/2017
Endocrinologist: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your time.

Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.

Thank you for your patience.

Androgel, being a hormone, can cause mood changes in many people. Anxiety is a common complaint, although there may be other complaints like depression and sudden mood changes.

Bloating is a also common, mainly by depressing the gut and decreasing the rate of movement of food through the gut. This leads to indigestion and bloating.

Bloating can also be related to your anxiety levels.

In your case, possibly, the bloating is due to both the Androgel and the anxiety.

The anxiety can be controlled by medicines or by life style changes, meditation or counselling.

For the bloating, you can take anti-acid medicines like Tums, Maalox, Rolaids and Mylanta - most will help to control gas formation too. You can also try medicines like Prilosec, Prevacid, which reduces the amount of acid your stomach makes.

Medicines like gas X and Simethicone will reduce the amount of gas produced in the stomach and intestines.

Please try the above medicines and see if they help - most are available without a prescription. If they do not, you will need to start on anti-anxiety medicines.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.