Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Do u know how to treat melatonin induced central precocious…

Customer Question
Do u know how to...
Do u know how to treat melatonin induced central precocious pubery in autistic and non autistic boys
Need your email ID
I wanted to separately email u in details for this
Due some personal reasons
Looking forward to your reply
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
Answered in 1 day by:
11/25/2017
Endocrinologist: Dr K, MD replied 4 months ago
Dr K
Dr K, MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. Precious puberty is treated the same regardless of the cause. It has nothing to do with autism
One possible treatment is with anastrozole. Histrelin acetate (Supprelin LA), triptorelin or leuprolide, any GnRH agonists, can be used. Non-continuous usage of GnRH agonists stimulates the pituitary gland to release follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH). However, when used regularly, GnRH agonists cause a decreased release of FSH and LH. Prolonged use has a risk of causing osteoporosis. After stopping GnRH agonists, pubertal changes can be expected to resume within 3 to 12 months.As this is a public forum there is no "email id".
12 plus yrs old child with autism developed precocious puberty but initially it was not related to melatonin and things were little messed and melatonin was continued for long 4 to 5 yrs till he developed a resistant generalized acne and fits at age 11 for very first time...
It was related to melatonin when his younger siblings developed the same pubertal changes at age 7 and 6 who unfortunately got melatonin for few months ...
Melatonin is stopped for long 20 months but things are still progressing except that acne was self resolved in eldest in a week and no fits for further ...he is on epival 250 mg twice a day..got 3 injections of lorelin 11.5 GnRH..with obesity ,fascial flushing and headaches and lot more undesribed kind of changes ...sometimes with a feeling that no effects to reduce puberty changes ..last bone age is around 12 to 13
MRI was not done unfortunately and blood lab reports showed central precocious puberty
Normal 2 siblings did not get any injections ...elder of 2 has started developing long curly pubic hairs after 7 and still progressing . He is 9 now ..the youngest one is still not seven and getting full penile erections ...their last and latest bone ages are around 9 and 7 yrs .....respectively ..the little one already a case of febrile fits
Do u recommend lorelin to normal kids too specially when this drug has lot side effects and kids are suspected cases of developing peripheral neuropathy..Should MRI be done suspecting hypothalamic hamartoma or elss when treatments not working effectively...
Seriously concerned about height and physical changes related social stigmas
I could not write in details previously due some misunderstanding.and was avoiding in public.but I request u to answer in the same consultation fee..
Hope u adjust and accommodate..
Will be obliged
I need to know about details of treatment and dosages and concerned about their heights too..Plz guide
Looking forward to your reply
I need to know the treatments of kids
Plz help
Dr K
Dr K
Dr K, MD