Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 67 yr. old woman and I have been taking Synthroid, 50…

Customer Question
I'm a 67 yr...

I'm a 67 yr. old woman and I have been taking Synthroid, 50 mcg., for 20 years. Starting in July 2017, I started to have bad side effects like I was hyper even though thyroid blood test were in a normal range. I was told to stop the Synthroid for a while which I did but now I feel terrible. My cortisol level is higher than normal, I have constant hot flashes and bad palpitations. I am trying to take a very small dose of Synthroid but get a racing heart. I feel like my adrenal, cortisol issues are making it difficult to take any thyroid medicine but my hypothyroidism raises my cortisol. Please advise.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

I've had many diagnostic blood tests and everything is in a normal range except my TSH (5.6) and my Cortisol. I've seen a cardiologist as well. At the moment I am not very functional because of the low thyroid and debilitating side effects.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

2 years ago I had femur surgery for a severe break from a horse riding accident. I know I have some coronary heart disease but no blockages.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
11/22/2017
Endocrinologist: DocPhilMD, Internist replied 7 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Internist

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

any other medical issues?

No obvious health issues before the problem with the thyroid medicine started in July. I've had EKGs, in depth blood work and I've seen an internist but nothing can explain the difficulty with the thyroid medicine. I feel lots of adrenaline type of 'rushes" and the blood work for adrenal glands was normal but my cortisol was out of range, a few points higher than normal.

what other meds do you take?

I don't take any other medications. For supplements, I take fish oil and vitamin D.

can you just stay off the thyroid medicine

the TSH of 5.6 isn't too high

I tried that but felt very bad since I'm use to having my TSH around 2.5. Also, I was getting palpitations and some blood pressure spikes when I became hypothyroid. I think the adrenals are trying to compensate for the low thyroid and causing this.

I see

have you seen an endocrinologist?

have you had a cortisol stim test?

I've seen 2 endocrinologist but they keep sending back to my GP. What is a cortisol sim test?

that is where they give you a dose of dexamethasone and night and measure adrenal function in the morning

that should be done in anyone who may have adrenal issues and an abnormal cortisol level]

is this helpful?

I don't think I could handle that test because I fear it would give me strong palpitations since I seem to get palpitations easily these days, especially from thyroid medicine. What other testing can they do?

that is it