Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been on 125 mcg for hyperthyroidism for 10 plus years…

Customer Question
I have been on...

I have been on 125 mcg for hyperthyroidism for 10 plus years now my doctor wants to change doseage again because it was high after blood tests. is there any supplement or anything I want off this medication?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Ive been sick with a cold for about a week. I have been taking over the counter cold medicine. But I'm think I have just become used to the headaches everyday thinning hair etc.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a gorter removed in 2003 and iodine treatment and still have a high running thyroid.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
11/22/2017
Endocrinologist: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

There is a supplement called armour thyroid. Armour is derived from pigs, then purified, so it is not bio-identical to human thyroid hormone. Synthroid is not derived from animals, it’s made in a laboratory. Synthroid contains T4 (thyroxine) only, whereas Armour contains both T4 and T3 (tri-iodothyronine). T3 is more biologically active than T4. Synthroid’s actions may take a few hours, whereas Armour Thyroid will begin to work within an hour. Taking these medications will necessitate the need for the same exact lab tests.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Did you receive my previous answer?