Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Almost once a week I will get slight ear and throat pain…

Customer Question
Hello. Almost once a week...
Hello. Almost once a week I will get slight ear and throat pain followed by a swollen neck lymph node. It will last for a couple of days and then go away. I had a CBC panel done and there were no abnormalities. The only medical issue I have is IBS and I don't think that's connected. What could this be?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
11/12/2017
Endocrinologist: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

It appears that you are having a mild recurrent viral infection that is causing the throat pain along with the enlarged lymph node. This is commonly due to a chronic tonsillar infection. You should consult an ENT specialist regarding this. There is effective treatment available and sometimes the tonsils need to be removed surgically for treating these frequent episodes of tonsillitis.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Endocrinologist: Dr. SH, Board certified physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board certified physician

Hello I am Dr. Shahzad
IBS is definitely not connect to your ear and throat pain and the lymph node swelling.

One of the most common causes of pain in the ear that you are having is eustachian tube dysfunction. This is a tube that connects the middle part of the ear with the throat. When this tube gets blocked at times, it would cause one to have intermittent pain that you are having. Whenever there is blockage of the eustachian tube mild inflammation could set in the middle ear leading to swollen and/or painful lymph node.

All this is nothing serious or anything to worry about.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Rate me when you are done asking.

Kindest regards