Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My dad is facing leg amputation next week due to what

Customer Question
My dad is facing...

My dad is facing leg amputation next week due to what appears to be dry gangrene in his right big toe. With a history of diabetes and congestive heart failure, just surviving the surgery is going to be difficult. The gangrene has claimed less than half of his toe in three months. Any idea how long it would take to claim his life?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

A little more than a week. No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
11/12/2017
Endocrinologist: Dr K, MD replied 8 months ago
Dr K
Dr K, MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. Dry gangrene has a much better prognosis than wet gangrene if this really is what he has. If so, amputation of the leg for dry gangrene in a single toe is certainly unnecessary. Amputating the whole leg would never be done for disease in one toe. I'm sure you do not have accurate facts. Only 15% of dry gangrene requires amputation, if needed it would be the toe only. It rarely leads to death. So its not going to "claim his life" at all. Hope this answers your concerns.