drphophalia
drphophalia, Doctor
Experience:  Do adrenal, thyroid and parathyroid surgery regularly.
5625079

I'm having some issues with my TSH levels. Currently my

I'm having some issues with my TSH levels. Currently my level is at 6.4 and I take 75ug of Thyroxine. The doctor asked me to increase the dosage to 150ug and also test for antibodies. Isn't the value too high? Also, why do I need to test for thyroid antibodies now, I thought they should have asked me a while ago when I started the treatment, like 3-4 months ago.Thank you.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

There are no specific guidelines to increase the dose of Thyroxine. Thus to achieve control, physicians go by;

1) TSH levels.

2) Previous response to thyroxine on symptoms and thyroid function tests.

3) Free T3 and free T4 values.

I agree that sudden doubling the dose may be towards higher side.

The thyroid antibodies are done; in people who do not respond adequately to the thyroxine for very long time, symptoms keep on persisting, have family history of thyroid disease or there is goiter.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just need to mention one thing. I have first measured my TSH last year and the value was 7.5. I have been on Thyroxine 50mcg for about two months and the value went down to 2.5. I have kept taking Thyroxine 50mcg per day since I wanted to try for a baby. Now when I tested again I was surprised to see my value going up again, although I have been on the same level of Thyroxine for nearly a year. I must admit I stopped taking it for about 2 weeks or so, but I did not expect the value to rise so high again. However, I don't understand why last year I have responded quite well on 50mcg and now it feels like I'm struggling to get the value down with the same dosage. It's a different brand though - could also have an absorption effect? Maybe my body absorbs better the first one brand I took and not this one? Thank you.

The stopping of Thyroxine for 2 weeks can affect the result; though not so substantially but many time significantly.

Brands usually should not make a difference, but this can be a factor.

But chance of stopping the medicine would be more likely to affect TSH. So TSh should be repeated after taking it normally for at least 8 weeks.

It is privilege assisting you.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/