Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter 40 has been given an antibiotic fir red soar…

Customer Question
My daughter 40 has...

My daughter 40 has been given an antibiotic fir red soar throat , she is also an active singer. The DR> also discovered something on her thyroid during physical exam. Her Thyroid Test was normal. she has an appointment for ultra sound and was referred to a ears nose and throat doc. what we ere wondering is can her hormones still be the cause of this thyroid issue., and is there a possibility her thyroid is also infected?..

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

Soar red throat about two weeks thyroid unknown new diagnosis this past week

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
Sorry for type errors she has had difficulty losing weight... We are wondering what type of Dr is best suited for this confusion over the "normal hormone test Result" yet there still appears to be an issue with the thyroid...
9/11/2017
Endocrinologist: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 11 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

do you know if the doctor felt a small lump on the neck and that is why they ordered the ultrasound?

swelling
she also says she cannot feel he trachea half way down and the swelling spreads to the left side of her neck
she cannot feel her trachea half way to the hollow spot on her neck and it spreads to the leftside of her neck

ok, thank you for those answers....

most likely a thyroid nodule (or multiple nodules) or a thyroid goiter. The ultrasound will help the doctor diagnose it is and that will help guide treatment.

here is some patient info on thyroid nodules from thyroid.org

the thyroid nodule or swelling is not due to the infection that caused her sore throat, but that is why the doctor found the thyroid issue since they did a thorough exam when she was there.

and here is some patient info on thyroid goiter

does that answer your questions?

Did my response answer your question?

If so, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.