Dr. Scott, Doctor
Experience:  Physician
96592888

I have noticed that over the past several years I've had

Customer Question

Hi I have noticed that over the past several years I've had some high calcium levels, mid 10s. I also recently had an abnormal low vitamin D (25) which is weird because I'm always outside. However my pth level seems to be always within the range the lab gives.I have a lot of symptoms that would go with having a parathyroid tumor but I wanted to know if people can have this condition and have normal pth levels? Or should I forget this and look for something else for the cause of my symptoms?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 1 month ago.

People with parathyroid tumors with have calcium levels that are really high, usually 14+.

In addition, their parathyroid levels will be high, usually 5-10 times higher than normal.

Many many people have low Vit D levels from decrease absorption in the GI tract.

I would start taking over the counter Vit D and look else where for high levels of calcium.

However, this could just be normal for you - there is a disorder called familial hypercalcemia which is caused by decreased urine production of calcium.

I hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
We only get credit for positive feedback on customers we help.
Please take a moment to rate my services.
You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are the other things that can cause high calcium?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 1 month ago.

Hypercalcemia is a relatively common clinical problem.

Among all causes of hypercalcemia, primary hyperparathyroidism and malignancy are the most common, accounting for greater than 90 percent of cases.

It is usually not difficult to differentiate between them.

Malignancy is often evident clinically by the time it causes hypercalcemia, and patients with hypercalcemia of malignancy usually have higher calcium concentrations and are more symptomatic from hypercalcemia than individuals with primary hyperparathyroidism.

Other common causes are medications (such as tums or calcium supplements), thyroid disease, kidney disease, adrenal disease, and inherited causes.

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 1 month ago.

Did you receive my response?