Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I need help understanding why I am unsuccessful with having…

Customer Question
I need help understanding why...
I need help understanding why I am unsuccessful with having a baby if my sperm comes back normal was I misdiagnosed?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Endocrinology
7/28/2017
Endocrinologist: DrLarryMD, Board Certified MD replied 9 months ago
DrLarryMD
DrLarryMD, Board Certified MD

Hello, I believe I can help you. Are you interested in more information?

My wife is completely healthy and has a child before our marriage we have been unsuccessful for 4 years, we had a break I slept with a another woman and she is claiming to be pregnant by me and I want to know the possibilities of that I attached my medical records

Could you tell me, in twenty words or less, what your exact question is?

I've attached my medical records for a few years I've been diagnosed with male hypogonadism and I've been unsuccessful with impregnating my wife for 4 years I declined to take any treatment for this my wife and I had a short split at that time I slept with another woman who claims to be pregnant by me and I am wondering if that is any way possible

I read the note your doctor wrote. What specialty is this doctor practicing?

He is a urologist who sent me to an Endocrinologist multiply times to check for tumors and prescribed me clomid which I never took
Endocrinologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love. The other expert has opted out.

I have reviewed the medical records. The hypogonadism certainly can cause male infertility, and Clomid is a common treatment used for men in this situation.

However, the effect of hypogonadism frequently will not necessarily completely eliminate the possibility of getting a woman pregnant. A man's fertility may be significantly lowered, but it is still possible that the man could get a woman pregnant. For example, of a man's fertility is 10% of a normal level, they still might cause a pregnancy about 2% of the time if sex occurs during the fertile time of the month. Whether pregnancy occurs in any given month is simply random. So, you may have a difficult time getting your wife pregnant for years, but could get another woman pregnant quickly.

Of course, if this other woman had sex with any other man, then you also may not be the father. Paternity testing would be necessary to see whether you are truly the father.

Understood, is that normal to happen with hypogonadism?

Well, hypogonadism is not normal, so anything associated with it is not normal. It would be more correct to say that it is a typical problem that can occur with hypogonadism.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor