Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Both my older children are very small for their age. My son

Customer Question

Hi, both my older children are very small for their age. My son is 13 years 7 months and is 4'11'' my daughter is 11 years and 7 months and is 4'7''. My son is showing no signs of puberty whereas my daughter is. They both grew around 2" over the course of last year. Their father is 5'8" and I as their mother is 5'1.75" on a good day!!
Should I be concerned about their height? My son gets very down about the fact that his friends are around 5'6" already. My daughter dances and is noticeabley smaller than her peers so gets put with the younger children even though she is technically more than able. I don't want to waste the GP's time only to be told they'll have a growth spurt - I never had one!!
Thanks
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you are concerned about your children's growth pattern.

Thank you for your very interesting question. Your children, especially your son is on the small side for his age, but his parents, your husband and yourself are not giants, so his height will partially be dependent on his genetics. What is disturbing is his lack of signs of puberty. Your daughter will most likely remain petite and that should present no problem for her. Please, may I strongly suggest you take your son to a Pediatrician and better yet to a Pediatric Endocrinologist, if one is available. He may benefit from evaluation and growth hormone treatment. Typically girls develop faster than boys, but your son should at least have some pubic hair growth by this age.

I hope this is helpful.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Any additional thoughts?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Have you been able to schedule an appointment for your son with a Pediatric Endocrinologist?