How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Stan Your Own Question
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 2043
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
Dr Stan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Both my older children are very small for their age. My son

Customer Question

Hi, both my older children are very small for their age. My son is 13 years 7 months and is 4'11'' my daughter is 11 years and 7 months and is 4'7''. My son is showing no signs of puberty whereas my daughter is. They both grew around 2" over the course of last year. Their father is 5'8" and I as their mother is 5'1.75" on a good day!!
Should I be concerned about their height? My son gets very down about the fact that his friends are around 5'6" already. My daughter dances and is noticeabley smaller than her peers so gets put with the younger children even though she is technically more than able. I don't want to waste the GP's time only to be told they'll have a growth spurt - I never had one!!
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you are concerned about your children's growth pattern.

Thank you for your very interesting question. Your children, especially your son is on the small side for his age, but his parents, your husband and yourself are not giants, so his height will partially be dependent on his genetics. What is disturbing is his lack of signs of puberty. Your daughter will most likely remain petite and that should present no problem for her. Please, may I strongly suggest you take your son to a Pediatrician and better yet to a Pediatric Endocrinologist, if one is available. He may benefit from evaluation and growth hormone treatment. Typically girls develop faster than boys, but your son should at least have some pubic hair growth by this age.

I hope this is helpful.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Any additional thoughts?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Have you been able to schedule an appointment for your son with a Pediatric Endocrinologist?