Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

I turned 50 last November. I currently weigh 160 pounds I'm

Customer Question

I turned 50 last November. I currently weigh 160 pounds I'm 5'3"
I'm at the highest weight I've ever been by at least 15 poundsSeptember of 2014 I weighed 128 pounds. That's on the skinny side for me but my weight fluctuated between 128 and 140I am past menopause - A lot of my weight has landed in my stomach for the first time in my life I have a big stomach. I look pregnantIn September 2014 my doctor put me on lithium. After this time, my weight began to climb. I couldn't control it. I could no longer stop the weight from climbing I would tell my doctor that I'm gaining weight uncontrollably It was not until I asked about a thyroid blood testI'm slightly below normal - so I was given 25 mg, and then retested and given 50 mg
I'm still gaining weight. I need to be retestedIf the lithium was the reason for the weight gain, if I go off of it, would my thyroid functioning return to what it was before I started the medication?I need a physician who will put my thyroid functioning at least back to mid level range. So that dieting will get me some resultsI saw one endocrinologist and he told me to eat celery instead of donutsI don't know if this matters, but it seems like I have irritable bowel syndrome.I need a doctor who will look to find the causes of my weight gain beyond the easy answer of food. My body has changed. I've gained in my belly (never gained there before) and the pounds keep coming when I really don't eat that much. 30 pounds in 2 and a half years alarms me, but no doctor has taken it seriously
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer,

Since you are no lithium so it is likely to be the reason for weight gain and hypothyroidism.The hypothyroid itself may cause gain in weight and you may need to get your thyroid functions checked periodically.

The change in drugs may be required if the symptoms are severe.

Here is the link for more information

side effect of lithium

Let me know if you need any more info

Please rate me positive if you are satisfied with my answer.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I were to go off the lithium, how likely is it for my thyroid to function as it did two and a half years ago?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer, It may take a few week for the thyroid function to return to normal after stopping the lithium completely.Also it should not be stopped abruptly but taper off slowly.The iodine supplementation or thyroid hormone supplementation may be required for sometimes till the thyroid function gets normal.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Please rate me positive if you are satisfied with my service.You may clear your doubt even after accepting the answer here itself without any extra charge.

Thank you