Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Second opinion] - I have Hashimotos and take levothyroxine.

Customer Question

Second opinion] - I have Hashimotos and take levothyroxine. I am always tired and carry more weight now ( 74Kg 5' 3") at 63 yrs old than all my first 40 years (55kg) . Should I have T4 and T3 readings or just TSH readings done. ? What foods are proven to make it worse or better?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with Hashimoto Disease. Since you are already on thyroid replacement medication, the only test you need is TSH. At this point no foods will interfere with getting your thyroid dose regulated. There have been articles against eating broccoli and cabbage like foods, but in your case, your thyroid is already non-functional so eat the greens, they are beneficial for helping not to get cancer. May I suggest that you still need to eat less so you can lose weight. The easiest type of diet is to eliminate all white flour products and increase your intake of green leafy vegetables, lean beef and pork, minimize all dairy products and only use olive oil (small quantities) only. If you continue to gain or feel tired, you may need to increase your levothyroxine dose, with the consultation of your doctor.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

Have you had the opportunity to have your TSH rechecked?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Your answer is in one way reassuring as it is the same as the GP - nothing can be done!! However this is not in the least helpful because there seems no way to calm the autoimmune response by diet. Your answer seems to be weight loss advice but not endocrine advice.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

The endocrine advice is to make sure you are on the appropriate dose of Levothyroxine by repeating your TSH level. If low, then an increase in medication is warranted. Unfortunately, autoimmune disease cannot be mitigated with diet alone. I wish it were, but that is not possible, so we need to use medication and in your case, it is thyroid replacement.