Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had blood work done about 3 months ago and my glucose

Customer Question

I had blood work done about 3 months ago and my glucose level was 72. Went back this week and my level is 104. Why would the levels be so different in this amount of time?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. love and i will be assisting you today.

There are many factors that could be affecting blood sugar levels. The most common are diet and activity patterns, but there also can be other factors, such as stress or a recent infection, even a simple viral infection.

When there has only been two numbers, it is difficult to make definitive statements about the overall pattern, as this last number may reflect unusual circumstances. In this situation, using a HgbA1c level can help. The HgbA1c reflects the overall average blood sugar levels over the past 3 months. If you are usually running blood sugars in the normal range and only occasional levels around 104, then the HgbA1c will be completely normal. However, if you are more commonly running blood sugars that are slightly high, then the HgbA1c will also be slightly high.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A1c was 5.8 and 5.7
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Other test levels were different as well. Hope lab didn't mix my blood with another person.

HgbA1c levels of 5.8 and 5.7 are mildly high, which would indicate that you are commonly running blood sugars that are mildly high.

This cannot be explained by the lab mixing the blood samples. It is exceedingly rare for a lab to mix two person's blood, and for it to happen on two HgbA1c tests would be even more extraordinary. And even in the rare case of two mix-ups, the odds that they could mix the blood with two other people with similar mild elevations in HgbA1c would be statistically virtually impossible.

At this point, this would be considered pre-diabetes, which means that you do not currently have diabetes, but are at risk of developing into diabetes over time. The key interventions at this point would be eating a healthy diet, getting regular aerobic exercise, and achieving or maintaining ideal body weight.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just don't understand how my blood sugar could be 74 with a high a1c? Glucose of 74 with 5.7 a1c?

It is impossible to know this far after the fact. Since your HgbA1c is slightly high, your blood sugar would not have been this low on most days. But the diet and activity levels of a couple days before that lab test probably caused that particular morning to be better.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What if the nurse wrote the wrong name on the blood sample? Because other levels were off as well. TSH level etc.

I addressed that above.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have you ever seen high a1c of 5.7 with glucose of 74

Not if it is 74 consistently, which is why I said what i said above.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry so next time if the a1c is high with low glucose there is a problem

It is not a problem. It indicates that your blood sugar is running slightly high most of the time, even if it is low on some days. But the extent to which the HgbA1c is an issue/problem is the same (in terms of the risk of evolving into diabetes noted above), regardless of the blood sugar obtained on that day.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Through a lab not at home with a meter

I understand that (or you could not have possibly been concerned about the lab confusing the specimens). The above answers are with that understanding.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can you have blood work done and your glucose is 104 then 3 months later have blood work done and it be normal without meds

Yes, for the reasons that I noted above.