Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Thank you for your time! I was dx with hypothyroid some 30 +

Customer Question

Hi and thank you for your time ! I was dx with hypothyroid some 30 + yrs ago, Sjogrens about 20 yrs ago. I also have a dx of mixed connective tissue disease (docs thought for 15 yrs that I had Lupis due to chronically pos. ANA , elevated sed rates, etc) Had blood drawn a few days ago, results are :TSH= 0.14, Free T4=1.3, FreeT3=2.5. During the last 8/10 months I have suffered a bout of fairly severe depression/anxiety,( Im on 90 mg of Cymbalta ) insomnia, migraine like headaches, Ive seen a dermatologist for itchy,burning scalp & skin, have had breakouts on my scalp,face & chest ,been dx with alopecia areata thru biopsy,and have various other s/s like sweating ( alternating with chills ) ,very dry skin (all over ) palpitations, dark urine with occasional urgency ( neg. for UTI ) migraine like headaches, fatigue, diffuse body aches, & arthritis. I was taking Armour Thyroid until about 1 yr ago then my primary switched me to Synthroid due to a shortage of Armour. My current thyroid Rx is Synthroid 112 mcg od & Cytamel 5 mcg bid. i'd appreciate your thoughts as to what is going on & what med changes if any additional bw- etc. you would suggest.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: Approx. 10 months. No difference in itch despite rich moisterizers
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Hx of difficulties getting pregnant, 2 misscarriages
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. Based on the TSH result you are now in the HYPERTHYROID range which could explain why you have dry skin, chills, sweats, etc. You may also de losing some weight despite a normal appetite. May I suggest you talk with you doctor about reducing your Synthroid to 100 mcg daily and rechecking your TSH level in 6-8 weeks.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are my s/s consistant with Hashimotos ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, this is fine thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did I lose you - are you there ?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

Without knowing if you have any autoimmune antibodies, I can't answer if you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis or not. I would suspect the low TSH is from your medication.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

Have you discussed the low TSH with your Endocrinologist?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

Have you contacted your doctor to discuss changes in your treatment?