Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I was diagnosed earlier this week with a Sinus infection

Customer Question

I was diagnosed earlier this week with a Sinus infection after several days of fatigue, headache, earache, low grade fever and congestion (no sore throat or coughing but some post nasal drip). I have a history of a sinus infections once or twice a year. The weird thing was as I got tired near the end of the day and started feeling ill, I also had annoying muscle pain in forearms, calves and thighs tho usually not all at once.Pretty sure a low grade fever was kicking in at the same time, but wasn't in a position to check each time. Feels kind of like the muscle aches with a flu bug, though I don't feel that ill or have a high fever. I am starting to feel overall better (antibiotics) but wondered if I should be concerned.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Muscle aches and pains (myalgias) may be caused by any one of a number of things but are a common feature of infections, especially those that result in fever. Both the elevated temperatures and the inflammation in the muscles indicate that some of the bacteria, or its toxins, have gotten into the bloodstream. This should continue to improve with the antibiotics. If not, you should see your doctor again for a re-evaluation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's "normal" to have the muscle pains in all of your large muscles with the infection. What will help the aches better tylenol or an NSAID.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Myalgias may or may not be a feature of an infection. They might also be the result of strenuous activity. Certain medications, including those used for high cholesterol, can cause pain in the large muscles of the body. Viruses are on the list. Fibromyalgia is a poorly understood autoimmune disease that is marked by muscle pain. Some individuals have more than one reason simultaneously. Regardless of the cause, anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen and naproxyn tend to work a lot better than tylenol which does not address the inflammation.