DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor. Years of experience with diabetes, both conventional treatments and diet treatments.
24257177

When I was about 30 I went to see a general practitioner, a

Customer Question

When I was about 30 I went to see a general practitioner, a young doctor about IBS. I was having abdominal pain. The gave me a prescription of steroids, and told me to take them for 2 weeks. My whole appearance changed. My face and neck swelled up giving me a round face and making me heavy in the face and neck. I never looked like that before. The effect didn't go away. When I followed up with the doctor he exclaimed "whats all this" and then replied "oh yeh, prednisone makes you retain water. Since this time I've always been a bit abnormally heavy in my face and neck. And also have weight gain in my mid section. I didn't make since to me how short term use of a medication could cause a permanent side effect and change my appearance. I've heard of a rare disorder called cushings syndrome, but I don't have pain in my hands and feet, and the steriods caused the inflamation. I don't understand why the round face syndrome and heavy neck reaction was permanent. Could the steroids have a caused a gland function disorder? Anything you could tell me as a possible explanation as to why this happened, or if there is anything I could do about it would be helpful. Mike
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

there is no medical explanation that 2 weeks of prednisone would cause a permanent description as you describe.

Does not exist in the literature.

However, if you have cushings and you went off steroids, it could have started to manifest at that point

I am surprised no one has tested you, but I would test you for

cushings

hypothyrodism

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.